Slate plugins crashing constantly on Cubase 12

Just reporting this because I’ve narrowed it down to the Slate plugins.

And we Slate users can’t create crash dumps with procdump for Steinberg because if you run procdump, Slate plugins say “cannot be run with debugger.”

If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

I will try and reach out to Slate but I’m sure they will point fingers at Steinberg, and since the Slate plugins are the only thing causing crashes right now, I feel Steinberg would be justified in pointing the finger the other way at Slate.

It’s frustrating. I am working on a commercial mixdown session and using Cubase tools for 90% but I do use the Slate Rack and F-GX here and there.

I have crashed 10 times already today and I’m sure whoever is on the other side of the “Cubase crashed - send logs to Steinberg” queue is going to get sick of seeing my files every 30 minutes.

slate plugins are iLOK protected, might be worth a try to update the iLok software.
Do you have a crash dump? If you’re on windows, I could try analyzing it to see whether it is really a slate plugin (or you could try it yourself: How to analyse Cubase crash dumps on Windows).

Yep can confirm, that does not work with slate plugins, but also not for KUSH, Softube, Soundtoys, etc. basically for no big name 3rd party vendor. In my case updating the VBC rack made it much better (but thats basically the only plugin I use from them these days).

Seems like you could be interested in this FR as well:
Solution to crashes by plugins - Sandboxing (Crash protection) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums
Would be nice if you could leave a vote if thats the case.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. That is a good idea. I am using a first gen iLOK and I didn’t even know the software itself could be updated. The Cubase dongle I believe gets updated every time I run it but the iLOK I don’t recall updating it in a while.

1 Like