Slice diagonally?

Hi,

I recently saw a video on youtube where a guy demostratated a feature in another DAW where he slice midi notes in piano roll diagonally and was able to create cool riff. Basically he had several chord which he copy over several octaves, he set velocity of the notes to 0, then he slices is diagonally in a random 16th pattern and then set velocity of the 16th notes. He achieves a cool result and I have tried to achieve this in Cubase 7.5 but scissor tool can not achieve this.Does anyone know other way to slice midi chords diagonally into for example 16th note?

have you tried note expression ?

No, I will look into it. Of course I could use the scissor and cut each note into its own small part, but it looks so elegant to just drag the knife showing a line diagonally from top note in chord and down and voila :slight_smile:

Here is the link to the video if anyone is interested: Piano playing cheats - clever idea

Cubase has the trim tool, looks like a knife. It does part of what you’re talking about.

but it only trims , which removes the last part of the note

Yep. That’s the part I mean. :wink:

I have tried the trim, but as you see in the video the trim remove the remaining of the notes. I kind of think Cubase should have a tool like this. Amazing for trying new things and experimenting.

Hold alt while trimming.

No.
That trims the start rather than the end (and adding the ctrl/cmd key trims the end… or start, respectively, trims all selected notes to the position where you first clicked with the knife tool), but there is no modifier key to simply split the notes as requested by the original poster, unfortunately.
It would be cool though, if the scissors tool could work that way, though :wink:.

… but… never one to be beaten :stuck_out_tongue: (although pathetically complicated in relation to the description originally given :wink: )…

1. Select all the notes
  2. Use the Knife tool to trim the end of the notes diagonally (yes, I know :wink: )
  3. Select the newly-trimmed notes, and copy them to the clipboard.
  4. Transport menu>Locate Selection End
  5. Paste
  6. (making sure that it is just the newly-pasted notes that are selected)…
  7. MIDI menu>Functions>Mirror
  8. MIDI menu>Functions>Reverse
  9. Set Snap mode to “Events”
    10 ) Drag to the left, until the selection butts agains the original( trimmed) notes.
  10. (optional) Select the newly-pasted notes and ctrl/cmd the knife tool (making sure that the knife passes through all selected notes), at the position that is the same as the end of the original notes before you had trimmed them :wink:.

(Try it… it surprised me! :smiley: )

EDIT…
I think the following modification to the above works just as well…

1. thru 3)… same as above
  2. Select just the note that now ends the earliest
  3. Paste
  4. (making sure that it is just the newly-pasted notes that are selected)…
  5. MIDI menu>Functions>Mirror
  6. MIDI menu>Functions>Reverse
  7. (optional) Select the newly-pasted notes and ctrl/cmd the knife tool (making sure that the knife passes through all selected notes), at the position that is the same as the end of the original notes before you had trimmed them :wink:.

Vic, i knew you’d weigh in on this! Great tip, and only 51 easy steps. Hm, I might have I lost count. :confused: :mrgreen:

Cubase rules. :wink: As do you Vic! :slight_smile:

LOL, great tip even if take multiple steps. However it would have been nice to have a tool working in one go :wink:

Thanks

Vic you’ve done it again ,your a superstar im going give it ago and setup as many parts as marco’s later to see how many step it can be bought down too .
Well done Vic you would be surely missed if you ever moved to FL’s :laughing: :laughing:

Reading that back, I apologise if that sounded dismissive.
While I am correct in saying that Alt+the Knife tool doesn’t slice the notes (which was the original question), in fact, after watching the FL video, Alt+the knife tool is indeed probably the best way to get near to the same result, or at least, achieve those rapid arpeggios (and in 50 or so less steps :stuck_out_tongue: )…
The two only real differences are that, in the FL vid, it plays the straight chord first, followed by the arpegg (whereas, with alt, you’d just get the arpegg), and, whereas in FL, to get further arpeggios out of the same original chord, you’d just use the tool again, in Cubase you’d have to re-insert the original chord again first (and probably have to make sure there aren’t any overlaps from the previous arpeggio).

just a quick thought-- you may want to try giving the advanced arp midi plugin a go; dragging a midi part into it and having it arp the midi data. i know it’s not what the FL video shows but it could be a nice extension.

Thanks, will look in to it. Just thought the FL tip was nice touch of testing stuff.

So then you turn all those steps into one Macro :wink: