Slurs extending beyond cue not showing

When I add a cue in a part with music that includes a slur that continues beyond the cue, it isn’t showing in the cue. The Show slurs property does not change this. Is there a way to show it?

No, only slurs that are contained within the cue will be shown.

Is there a way to draw a slur? I see there are no slurs in the Lines panel.

Slurs are in the Notes panel on the left of the window, or you can press S.

Indeed. My question is if I can freehand write a slur in a cue, since slurs that extend beyond the cue do not show.

Apart from either changing the length of the cue, changing the length of the slur in the source instrument, or adding another instrument with a shorter slur to appear in the cue whilst leaving the original instrument with its original slur length, I don’t think so. Or, not using the cue feature and writing in the material manually and resizing it using the Scale property. Or alternatively again, using an l.v. tie on a nearby note and moving it graphically (although I’m not sure how that will behave with note spacing)

Cues are dynamic representations of the source material and apart from changing their stem directions etc you can’t edit their content.

2 Likes

Drastic but useful workaround: create a dummy “Cue” player, input the cue into it with a shorter slur that won’t get cut off, then cue from that. You can of course hide this player from the score layout. I use this as well sometimes where the material to be cued is for example a tutti woodwind chord, where cueing just Flute 1 would look strange, or like a piano staff of which I’d only need the melody.

Keep in mind that this way you break the automatic correspondence of cues to the original material, so if the music changes you’ll have to remember to update the cue by hand.

I think I have come up against the same problem.

Score:
cues2a
Part:
cues2b
Engraving Options is set to include slurs in cues.
How can I get around this, please?

EDIT: I have put a second slur on a previous bar in the part and moved it in “Engrave Mode”. It looks alright; but will it stay there, or mess anything else up?
cues2c

David

There’s no reason to think your additional manually-positioned slur will mess anything up.

Thanks, Daniel. I am very impressed with the fact that things stay where one puts them in Dorico. For instance, the ease with which one can extend a crescendo continuation line perfectly horizontally across more than one page, without it doing funny things. The software I used previously was rather inconsistent, not to say unpredicatable, in this respect. :smiley:

David

UPDATE

I discover that there are now two slurs in the score in the place from where I moved one in the part t

David

As a player I see no reason why a cue would need to have the slur, unless the cue is meant to be played in the absence of (or to strengthen) the person playing the original music which is in the cue. If it’s meant to be only an aid to keep one’s place in the music, showing the slur isn’t important in my opinion. If it’s meant to possibly be played then most likely the cue would be longer and the full slur from the orginal part would show.

2 Likes

You are welcome to your opinion, and that is why there is an option to have slurs in cues, or not. The point of this thread is simply that, when the option is selected, the slurs do not always appear in the parts!

The justification for including slurs in cues is that they change the character of the notes and the sound of the music and, since the cues are meant to advertise what the player will hear at that point in the rest, this is valuable – particularly when the same motif is also used staccato, as the one below is elsewhere in this piece.
cue-leo2

Dynamics are traditionally not included in cues, but would often be helpful to the players.

David

@david-p Glad to see that you’re showing Fidelity to the score! Leonore would approve.

Same here:

no slurs in cues

Suggestion: it would be nice, if Dorico could handle these cue slurs like regular slurs at system breaks, where a first part of a slur is shown before the system break.

1 Like

Any information in a cue, very much including dynamics, articulations, and slurs, can be very useful for a player (also talking from own experience), as knowing how players before me treat any information in their parts can inform me on how to take over from them. That is why I miss the possibility to include slurs that extend beyond the cue.

1 Like