Small note heads

These stylistic alternates for note heads are declared in the metadata json file for Bravura:
noteheadBlackSmall
noteheadDoubleWholeSmall
noteheadHalfSmall
noteheadWholeSmall

Can they be accessed in Dorico?
If yes, where and how?

Dear Teacue,
If I understood all well, we should probably get our hands on a note-head editor quite soon now… Not even sure this topic will be relevant then :wink:

You can change the size of noteheads individually by selecting the ones you want to resize, activating Scale in the Common group of the Properties panel, and selecting one of the options.

There are also different notehead designs available - select the noteheads whose design you want to change, and choose Edit>Notehead>[notehead design] (or Notehead>[notehead design] from the context menu).

You can also change the design of all noteheads in your project on the Notes page in Engrave>Engraving Options. There are four options available there currently, plus four designs for noteheads where different scale degrees/pitches have different noteheads.

Thanks for all the answers.
Unfortunately none of them answer my question.

I am/was aware of the mentioned features to change the size or the design of noteheads.
But none of these features makes use of the “small” versions note heads mentioned in my first post.

I should have probably been more specific concerning the reason for the question.
It has to do with the SMuFL technical side of things within Dorico.

I am in the process of designing a music notation font.
Doing so it is necessary to exactly know which glyph in a SMuFL font corresponds to which function in Dorico.
Studying the Bravura font and studying the SMuFL tables as seen at Please wait while you are redirected does not make it always really clear what glyphs are in use in Dorico.
Or to express it in other words, many of the glyphs in Bravura are not used by Dorico.

I already once asked Daniel if there was a comprehensive list of the glyphs actually used in Dorico but such a list does not exist.
The only way for me to know is to find out step by step and through trial and error which glyph corresponds to which feature/function in Dorico … or to ask on this forum :wink:

For example in:
“Engraving Options / Notes” you can choose between 4 noteheads design.
. Default noteheads
. Larger noteheads
. Note names
. Figurenotes

Taking a quarte note head as sub-example:
“Default noteheads”
it is called “noteheadBlack” and it has the code number U+E0A4 (and U+1D158)
Notice that the code number in braces is for the older unicode standard to allow compatibility with other notation programs.

“Larger noteheads”
it is called “noteheadBlackOversized” and it has the code uniE0A4.ss05
For anyone interested the additional .ss05 to the code number means that this is a stylistic alternative of the glyph.
It must also be declared in the metadata json file accompanying the font file.

“Notenames”
I will not list each name and code number but there are 26 different note heads for the quarte note only

“Figure notes”
Until now I did not try to understand how this works.

Each note head is a specific glyph with a unique code.

The scale feature function mentioned by Lillie “scales” the size of the note head in use and does not change the design.

The menu Edit / Notehead offers a lot of additional designs not found in " Engraving Options / Notes" and each of these note heads designs has a specific unicode number but none of the options seems to make use of the “Small” noteheads.

As I saw in the metadata json file for Bravura that these particular “Small” glyphs were declared I thought that they could be used from within Dorico, therefore my question.
Of course the fact that they are “declared” in the metadata file does not necessarily mean that they are in used.
I am just curious to know.

Here the unicode for the mentioned glyphs:
noteheadBlackSmall: uniE0A4.ss01
noteheadDoubleWholeSmall: uniE0A0.ss01
noteheadHalfSmall: uniE0A3.ss01
noteheadWholeSmall: uniE0A2.ss01

If someone knows if these glyphs can be used with a function in Dorico I would be glad to know.
I assume Daniel can answer this.

At the moment, the stylistic set for small noteheads is not used in Dorico. I don’t think any of the characters in that stylistic set are actually used by the program at all yet. In the future we plan to use them, and if you want to include them in your own font, I would recommend that you look at making them optical variants that correspond to a scale factor of around 75% of normal size (that’s the scale factor I designed for in Bravura).

Ah, thank you Daniel.
Thanks also for your suggestion.