Small ossia staff found in Kodaly Cello Sonata

I’m trying to create this type of notation from the Kodaly cello sonata in my own piece. The issue I’m having is that there is too much padding created when a clef is inputted - - this is not an issue mid-bar however is an issue at the start of a bar as it seems Dorico is forcing the clef to proceed the barline, adding the unnecessary space. Is there a way to mitigate this?

I don’t know if there is a way around it. Maybe someone else has the knowledge.

You could go a whole nother route if all else fails. Turn the small bass staff into a graphic slice and convert that into a playing technique. Just open a new dummy file with a smaller staff and enter the clef, note and dynamic. Extend the stem in engraving mode. Make the slice, convert to a playing technique, enter and move into position.

1 Like

If you don’t care about playback for that note, you can use an invisible clef on the ossia, then add the bass clef with text.

3 Likes

It took me a minute to figure out how to add music font as text, but yes that is significantly easier. I don’t mind the playback - - the score notated properly is my main priority. Thanks!

1 Like