Smart MIDI Import documentation?

Where do I find the documentation for Smart MIDI import? Under File import and export I do not find any documentation for MIDI import at all…

Please see pages 15 to 23 of the Dorico 4 Version History PDF, where it is explained in great detail.

Yes I’m afraid the changes to MIDI import haven’t yet been documented, alongside Play mode, the Key editor, the Mixer, and a number of other things. Daniel’s brilliant Version History will be your friend!

Thanks for the info.

What I was really most curious about is the identification of articulations / playing techniques. I see in both the video and the version history that these can be identified if you have different tracks for different techniques, but I can not see that there is support if you only have one track per instrument/ player. For example if you use expression maps in Cubase or Nuendo.

In Cubase/ Nuendo you can export the midi files with expression map changes as text events and Dorico could identify these as well as track names. But since I do not see anything about this, I guess it is not implemented i Dorico yet?

At the moment there’s no way for Dorico to find out any of this information because it is not exported via MIDI, at least not in a form that allows Dorico to understand it. We would definitely like to be able to map between Cubase’s expression maps and Dorico’s when sending data back and forth between the two programs, but that will require something more detailed than MIDI to acheive.

Hello Daniel and all,
Having dipped my toe in Dorico for a while via Dorico 4 SE and very likely to upgrade - it’s a really excellent product - I’m a bit confused about importing MIDI files. I’m mainly a pianist and generate a MIDI file for new compositions via my digital piano. When I attempt to import these into Dorico 4 SE, only the treble clef is shown and I can’t find a way to view the MIDI import options dialogue. Is the ability to generate both treble and bass clefs on import only available in Elements or Pro versions?
Many thanks,
Chris

Welcome to the forum, @ChrisClayt. To get Dorico to recognise your MIDI files as being written for piano, there are a few things you can do.

The optimal solution would be for Dorico to recognise your MIDI files as containing music for piano automatically. It will do this if the track name in the MIDI file is “Piano” (or something similar), or if it uses MIDI program number 0 and you have the Use GM program changes to identify instruments option activated in the MIDI Import Options dialog.

Given that your MIDI files are coming from your digital piano directly, I don’t know whether or not you can easily influence the way the MIDI files it generates are set up – you would need to consult the documentation for the digital piano to find out.

The other way is simply to tell Dorico that the track in your MIDI file are for piano. When you open the MIDI file in either Dorico Elements or Dorico Pro, you’ll see the MIDI Import Options dialog, in which you can specify which instrument Dorico should use for each track in the MIDI file. Simply telling Dorico that the track in your MIDI file is for piano should be sufficient. (The MIDI Import Options dialog is not included in Dorico SE.)

Thank you very much Daniel, that’s both clear and extremely helpful. I can control the MIDI files from my DP to some extent but I think I’ll upgrade to Elements to access the MIDI Import Options as you describe as this will give me more options in future as I start to use MIDI more.
Much appreciated!
Chris