Snap grid button of audio editor disabled after recording

Reporting Form

1. Summary/Title
snap grid button of audio editor disabled after recording

2. Description
Reproduction not fully known.
Sporadically but not really rare, after multiple (i think i did not observed it with only 1 recording) recordings in a track with some gaps in the timeline, the snap grid button of the audio editor is disabled when opening of any of the recordings.
The only workaround found to enable it was to close the app via the ipad os means and re-open it.
Switching to home screen was not sufficient.

Why doing multiple recordings in a single track? Only separate recordings are separately editable in the wave editor, this is not possible by splitting afterwards. And track duplication is more effort if effects settings are changed later and not needed for a non overlapping timeline.

3. Expected Results
snap grid button stays enabled

4. Actual Results
disabled snap grid button

5. Environment
iPad 7th gen, Cubasis v3.3.1 , LE with full feature set

Hi @111378,

Thanks for another report.

Do you have an exact repro or a clip that shows the steps and visualizes the problem?

Thanks
Lars

well the disabled snap grid button looks not different but did not react on any touch and only complete app closing fixes it, which means the track or wave editor seems to have lost the tempo information completely.
In the 2 or 3 cases where i observed it i recorded something on an audio track, recorded 2 or more takes on the same track, but later in the timeline.
Nothing else was changed. When opening the wave editor of one of the recorded takes, the snap grid is disabled and set to “free mode” which is basically useless to trim takes exactly.

Hi @111378,

Thanks for your message.

To allow our engineers to evaluate the problem, an exact repro would be required.
Here, it would be of great help if you could share the requested additional information via sharing a short clip that visualizes the problem, or an exact step description (alongside with sharing your project which shows the problem).

Thanks in advance
& stay healthy,
Lars

it is probably rare. It does not re-occur after said app restart in the same project otherwise the app restart would probably not solve it anyway. I can’t say what exactly lead to the issue therefore. As a user i can’t disable the button as far as i know, which means, that something in the software must disable it for an unknown reason.

it occurred again i made a screen shot this time. I changed latency buffers between recording in this project, but didn’t in previous cases, likely unrelated. As before only complete close of app and restart fixed it

Issue is still there in 3.4.3
It happens most often if one records multiple takes on the same track. It is not always happening, but if an complete app restart is required to fix the disabled button again.
Not super important, but an obvious issue still, because for which reason the button should be disabled in any case? If there is audio and a tempo set, then the audio can be divided by bars, 1/2, 1/4. I can’t see a reason to disable it unless there is some error happening in the software which leads to the button disabling.

Hi @111378,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately a reproducible case would be required to have our engineers evaluating the problem.

Do you think you’re able to provide us with a clip that shows the exact steps leading to the problem?

Thanks again
& stay safe,
Lars

Add: Have seen this sporadically a few more times. I don’t use Cubasis daily so it shouldn’t be so difficult to reproduce with some recordings as described, but unfortunately have no more specifics.

I don’t think the disappearing snap grid in the audio editor is a ‘BUG’ but rather by design!

When You toggle between Bars/Beats & Time (by tapping on the ‘time/location’ left of the transport controls) You can see the grid button getting turned on / off in the audio editor.

When the time is show in Bars & Beats the Grid selector is visible in the Audio Editor but when you show time in Time the grid-selector disappears.

You’ll also notice that when ‘Time’ is used the Grid-Lines in the audio editor change to show time instead of ‘bars’.

So yeah, I don’t think it’s a bug at all…

unfortunately if that happens what i describe, no toggle is working anymore. As written you have to close the app and re-start, if that is by design, then the UI freezes are, too :wink: I really like Cubasis, some parts even more than Cubase its obvious big brother, but unfortunately the stability + some of these bugs if they happen kill the touch advantage. While the app re-start is fast it is still 4-5 seconds and often the last action is lost. ( That some Cubasis features are there but only half, e.g. i don’t know who has fun using the automation editor, which still lacks support for 3rd party AU )
I’m aware that Cubasis never will and i think also shouldn’t get a lot of the Cubase features, but the features which are there should work without any issues. Currently they do not and it is a pity because of the potential the touch UI brings for many use cases.

Agreed, there’s still plenty of potential polish to be done with Cubasis that’s for sure!
AUv3 automation editing can only be done for ‘W recorded’ parameters and well, it’s got an for lack of better word ‘interesting’ (In not so positive way) behavior when it comes to the actual editing…

Also It’s not possible to pick a parameter from a list like one can do when editing Midi CC’s as an example which would make things a bit smoother. (It could be as simple as tap + to add a controller lane, tap a controller on the AUv3 UI or pick from a list of available parameters). Naturally the editor would have to take account the value-range & type (0-1, or +/- or ‘toggle’ etc.) of the parameter that is being added.

Some day we might get AUM like Audio & Midi routing in Cubasis but when? That’s the real question…

With that said I do look forward to the next update when ever it’ll drop.

Cheers!