Snap to zero crossing comps leave a space

Does anyone have experience using snap to zero crossing? I have a space issue when comping. Here is an example, and my questions are listed at the end. I am using Cubase SX3 with last available update on a PC.

I recorded 2 independent mono audio guitar parts, the first on track 1, the second on track 2.

At measure 15, I made a mistake on track 1. The mistake lasted for one measure.
At measure 50, I made a mistake on track 2. The mistake lasted for one measures.
(I only mention measure 50, because if I don’t someone will say if track 2 were perfect why would you want to comp it)

You get the picture, I am going to comp the two tracks to make a perfect one.

I would like to “slice” the audio on track 1 at the beginning of measure 15 and the end of measure 15.
I would like to “slice” the audio on track 2 at the beginning of measure 15 and the end of measure 15.
This will give me the ability to replace the measure 15 audio with mistake on track 1 with the measure 15 audio with no mistake from track 2.

My snap setting is set to snap to zero crossing.

I click on the ruler at the beginning of measure 15. Since it is the ruler, I have my snap for this set at 32 notes, and it easily snaps exactly to the beginning of measure 15 on the ruler. I then zoom in on the audio of track 1, click the scissors tool, and move the curser to the beginning of measure 15.

Since my setting is snap to zero crossing, the scissor tool line snaps and slices at a zero point slightly before measure 15. I then move to the end of measure 15, and repeat, and it slices slightly after the end of measure 15.

I repeat this procedure for track 2 at measure 15, but the zero crossings were before measure 15 and before the end of measure 15.

The Problem:

The zero points for the two tracks are obviously not the same. In fact, on track 2, in this example, the snap to zero points were after the beginning of measure 15 and before the end of measure 15.

I delete the mistake “measure” 15 from track 1. I move the no mistake “measure” 15 from track 2 to track 1.

My grid is set to relative, and therefore moves the track 2 audio exactly in the same “time” point it was on track 2 into track 1.

There is now a space between the two events. I know I can set it to snap to the event, so the end point of track one and start point of track 2 snap, but that would be moving the timing off, because I would be moving the second event backwards.

My question:
Do I leave the space and then crossfade? (or overlap in some cases depending on where the snap to zeros were on both tracks)

Do I say "it’s just a fraction of a millisecond if I snap it to the event and shift the rest of the track backward to snap the two zero points together? (keeping in mind if I do a lot of similar edits on the tracks, the time difference will really add up to a lot)

Do I timestretch one or both of the audio events to snap them together? (if so, how much is being timestretched? The entire event or just a little bit? Should I snap to zero again on the right event again so the timestretch only applies to just a little event instead of the big event?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Since no two performances are the same, this is going to happen. Best bet would be to open the parts in the Audio Part Editor and manually make a cut at a point where both tracks cross 0 at the same point or just forget 0 xing and use crossfade.

Thanks Mashedmitten for the reply. I guess this is the meat of my question. I assume that snap to zero crossing will always leave a space or an overage when comping. But I can’t understand then why they would have the feature if it can not be used. Finding a zero crossing in both parts in the same location I think is impossible, unless I am missing something major here. I do plan to crossfade even if I snap zeros. Will there not be a pop or noise if I don’t zero cross even if I crossfade?

Thanks again!

Crossfade will get rid of any pop. Reading your post again, you can just drag the end of the previous event to overlap the edit and apply a crossfade. What if you enable Lanes and drag both parts to one track. Do the edits fall in the proper place when done there?

Crossfade will work well, also as you are probably zoomed in to sub ms range a small gap (probably looks large) is not a problem either, you will not hear it and to confirm just play the edit and use ears.

Is there not an audio function you can use to fill up empty spaces? I never tried it but I guess it could work pretty well on very small gaps like these.

would it not time stretch the part!!! maybe not a good idea? close gaps?

Crossfade or leave a (very) small gap would probably be best.