Snare Drum Roll Notation

I have freaking looked everywhere LOL im so frazzled right now. Dorico is so easy to use but this one function is utterly impossible to find.

How do I put slashes through a notes stem on the snare line to show a snare roll? PLEASE tell me its easy.

It is easy! Please see the documentation.

Shift+R 3 Enter
(where 3 is the number of strokes)

Sometimes… its just too easy LOL

Thank Daniel ROCK ON!!!

Thank you

You can also bind the 3-stroke tremolo to a key directly. I have it bound to Ctrl+T since it’s so frequently used.

Thanks for this, it’s prompted me to add some indexterms relating to drum rolls and snare drums to the tremolos topic that Daniel linked to. They’ll be added when I next publish a documentation update.

1 Like

Could you send updated links for this thread? I would like to see the documentation mentioned but I think it’s been moved

The material on tremolos can be found here.

1 Like

Hello,
I am trying to notate snare drags. When I input 2 64th notes before a quarter note to imply a drag before the hit, dorico gets confused. I have tried putting 64th note grace notes before the hit but it doesn’t give the same effect for some reason. Is there a different method for doing this? Thanks

Can you be a bit more specific about how Dorico gets confused, Dave?

This link doesn’t work. Maybe putting what to search for in the documentation so we can look in future versions of the documentation will be good.

Works for me.

Jesper

I wonder how?

You are trying to access a link to a very old version of the documentation.
A quick examination of the url shows it is pointing to the notation reference>tremolos section of the manual.

That link still works just fine, but here’s the current version of that page:

(Daniel. There are two links you made on this thread. The 2nd works, but the 1st returns a 404 error)

Thanks – I’ve now fixed the original link, and the quoted post that includes it. (I’m not going to make a habit of that, though!)

2 Likes

(Completely aside, just for the record, the link in post #2 above had a click count of 530 when I saw it yesterday, probably the most ever on this forum!)

I want to ask a follow-up on this thread. When creating a percussion map for the snare drum and assigning the “roll” technique for snare drum, then assigning a tremolo to it as being suggested above does not trigger the roll as per the percussion map. The only workaround I can find is to assign “tremolo” as the playback technique for the roll.

Anybody have a way that doesn’t involve me tricking dorico into thinking a tremolo is aroll?