So Cubase 10.5 is out, when do we get Nuendo 10.5?

I read the thread, and I’m not trying to get on your nerves. I just figured “Option 1” would eliminate the complaints that either Nuendo or Cubase are being treated favorably over the other. Neither user has to be envious/impatient that the other program got the cool features first. Users will always complain of course, but wouldn’t it also be easier for a company to treat and maintain the two programs as one?

I guess I just don’t see how Cubase Pro is different from Nuendo any more than, say, Cubase Elements is different from Cubase Pro. They’re both “different” only in that one has more features unlocked than the other - while being the same program.

You’re not getting on my nerves at all.

I think perception of the two programs is different, and that matters as far as sales go. All I know is that I care about performance and price. I don’t care if they release the two in sequence.

Everyone should wait 100 days. Cubase users get the Cubase features, Nuendo users get those plus the Nuendo features. Nuendo users pay more.

Option 1 is not available anymore (as of January 1st). Avid “annonced” it quietly in the beginning of last december. Some retailler may have reinstate plan for sale, but Avid will not make new ones. So now you have to pay for the support every year. If you don’t, you can crossgrade to a subscription plan or buy a new perpetual license. So I guess this makes Nuendo more cheaper.

The regular vendor of music equipment my boss uses still have “option 1” available, not only that but some of them on some sort of sales price… or maybe it was a “buddy deal”. Either way, by far the best option for that studio.

What do I gain by having Cubase users wait?

You “gain” having all the new features they have, at the same time they get them. :wink:

It would have been the same 100 day wait either way.

From the announcement in December, there was a 40% discount on the reinstatement plan. Your boss is lucky, Avid doesn’t supply the plan anymore. Some people have bought 2 or 3 plan, so they’re good for many years (if they activate one every 2-3 years).

That’s my point; everyone waits. There is no “getting features before the others” situation.

So Cubase users should wait just to make you feel better?

Schadenfreude much?

That’s actually a good approach. Perhaps I should ask my boss to get a few more at a discount if available… Though I suppose there needs to be a two year wait before it actually is a $200 saving since the support plan is $400.

You’re right Sw*etwater still sells them (for regular Protools) but at 100 USD more than in december.
I got two and advised all my collegues nearby to jump on the offer before dec 31st. I upped my protools license from 10 to Protools 2019 for 200 Usd.
A steal compared to what it would have cost upgrading every year. Now it is in the closet waiting for the occasional studio job where I get ask “Do you have protools”. I’m set for years to come by letting the perpetual license expire for a while and reactivate it later.

It looks like a lot of people don’t read the posts properly.
In the beginning “TimoWildenhain” wrote:
… The next Nuendo major launch will be in 2020, not in the first quarter though. And it will
again include features, that Cubase (vice versa) will only get with version 11 probably end of next year …

So Nuendo 10.5 gets a lot of features which only appear - a half year later - with Cubase version 11.
In April 2020 we have a more current status than the Cubaser. We are not behind - we are ahead with the latest developments.

I think you’re right except I imagine we might be looking at Nuendo 11 to synchronize version numbers between Cubase and Nuendo.

Note that Timo did not say 10.5 or any version number at all, he just said “major launch”.

Well in principle the same complaint could be made in reverse as long as one set of users have to wait. All I’m saying is that it’s not a huge deal and I’d rather not punish Cubase users just so I can feel better.

I’ll reiterate that I think that Steinberg should give Nuendo users the ability to also run the latest version of Cubase instead of Nuendo. That to me would make some sense.

But like I said, to me it’s not really a big deal.

So right now, I can crossgrade to Nuendo from Cubase 9.5 for the cheapest price ever.

If I wait to activate the license till 10.5 is out, do grace periods also apply for nuendo like they do for Cubase? Otherwise I guess i will wait for the annual 50% cubase upgrade sale price…

Although it would be real nice to have the flagship as I expand into other areas of audio production. I am more than happy to buy it now and not activate or use it till 10.5 is out if it means I won’t need to pay for 10.5. More than happy with pro tools in the meantime.

Cheers

What I find frustrating is that it’s the day before this Nuendo deal ends, but I’m a Cubase Pro 10.5 owner. It doesn’t make sense for me to have to LOSE features to “upgrade” to Nuendo. I can understand what Matias is saying about Cubase users not having to wait for Nuendo features, but the reality is that Nuendo users are actually having to wait for features that already exist.

I could really use the extra export options in Nuendo for a game audio gig I’m starting tomorrow, but I’m not willing to give up the Cubase 10.5 features (colored mixer, delay plugin, etc, etc-it was a really great update).

I think that Nuendo users should get new Cubase features at the same time that Cubase does - then give the extra nuendo updates when they are ready. Then everyone is happy. It just doesn’t make sense for Nuendo to be behind Cubase.

I completely agree, I have both programs and I have to sometimes look up to see which one I’m in the middle of using, I always though of them as one program, I understand Steinberg wanting to separate them, but then why make them graphically identical?
I compose, mix music and sound design, but I also need the post and game-connect features.
I would happily pay more for an “ultimate” solution,

I think that would be nice too. The only question is how Steinberg should or would deal with upgrade pricing.

If there’s a Cubase 11 that is a paid upgrade with new features, then what happens to Nuendo? Does it get v11 and we pay $200 for just those features and then get the Nuendo-Only features later for free? Or do we get the Cubase stuff for free and pay $200 for the rest later? Or do we pay $100+100?