So how does one keep up with Steinberg application updates nowadays?

I too have many Steinberg product’s and every other Manufacturer has Updates/Patches handled automatically via their own software app like NI’s Native Access, Toontracks Product Manager, UVI’s UVI Portal, IK’s Product Manager, Izotope Product Portal, BIAS has it built into there apps, Pulse app, Waves Central, etc etc etc.

Still after all this time Steinberg does not have this. SDA is mainly for downloading and installing fresh installs. When it comes to updates most often times we have to redownload the whole product again instead of just a patch like we used to via the website. You need to make SDA the same as the other companies above so it’s an all in one product portal that will make it easy for US the customer to manage our many Steinberg products automatically.

I can not even find the news section anymore on the current website and you do not email us when updates for which ever product are out so unless i waste hours of time comparing which software version i have installed verses which one shows as the latest in SDA i have absolutly no idea what the hell is happening.

2 Likes

Isn’t the “Steinberg Hub” in Cubase supposed to include update announcements? In my experience, (1) Cubase takes so long to launch that I disable the Hub showing at startup, to save time (2) the anouncement is often several days late after being announced here on the forum?
It would be great if Cubase could check for, notify of, and install updates from within the application. You know, like most modern professional applications?
I mostly come to this forum looking for updates or workarounds, because there are bugs In Cubase that bug me everyday. But it would be great if the application itself could notify me. Same with Dorico. Right now, if you “check-for-updates” in Dorico 3.5, it takes you to a web page with an update for Dorico 3.1. So embarrassing!

2 Likes

I believe it really does come down to Steinberg Download Assistant - it is just a front-end for their downloads page on Steinberg.net… which I still use sometimes because at least there they list the date the update was released.

SDA needs a complete rewrite - it should scan my computer for current versions and display available updates - like literally every other software company in the world.

Speaking of Cubase 11.0.40 - I downloaded this yesterday and it did not appear to contain any update, and my Cubase Pro is still at 11.0.30…

Why ‘inform on email?’ and that consumes lot of time of the user and the user can get to it only when he found time to reach his mail box and loses the update from the date of release. Actually when we users open a software, there a pop up message must appear as " Update available". then immediately we can click on that and the update is downloaded and installed. Even Steinberg can offer “Custom Installation or Express Installation” as GeForce Experience do. I wonder why these software and hardware creators are missing such a facility. When they could create a great software with multiple controls and effects, what hinders them to exhibit a message like “Update available” when any user opens his software. I hope Steinberg is reading my feelings. :pray:

I had some experience on Cubase 5 with the hardware M-Audio Fast Track C400 purchased in the year 2012 and have been using till recently until that Fast Track packed up. With that experience, very recently I purchased UR 44C with great passion and enthusiasm. With this type of problem of searching for updates like searching for a diamond in a mine through tons of mud and dirt, now some rejection is being sown in my mind towards Cubase. I do not know whether Steinberg is working on these issues. :pray:

Wow! I thought it was just me!
It’s a right PITA compared to Toontrack, Native Instruments etc.
C’mon Steiney, get with the groove, baby.

1 Like

Steiney’s present DA system is really ‘clunky’. To check the version I have and compare it with what’s available in the DA shouldn’t require opening the said plugin(s) in Cubase.
NI’s Native Access system is great and Steinberg surely does have the brains and ability to come up with a better system than the DA.

SeethaRamaiah offers the best solution regarding updates. Why used an email? Why integrated such a procedure in “Download Assitant”? Why not just be informed when opening Cubase of available updates. Cubase, HALion, GA, all the VSTs and libraries associated with these VSTs. The same if you only used the HALion app. If you have them, here are your updates ladies and gentlemen; Would you like to download them now or later with our famous DA download tools.

If you take my humble opinion, Download Assitant does exactly what it was designed to do. Making him responsible for managing updates would be irresponsible.

SeethaRamaiah, I support your suggestion 110% …

1 Like

Thanks. I am very new to Cubase 11. I have to learn a lot. I am a senior citizen (70 years old) and I have seen many forums in my life. But first time I am realizing that Steinberg forum is the ultimate where all the most knowledgeable greats take new-coming-children in the subject like me by holding hands, clarifying doubts from simple to complex, and teaching with great patience. Really my heart goes out for the great Steinberg forum. Steinberg is already a great hardware and software and you seniors are taking it to the greater heights with all your great support to the aspiring children like me. Thankyou all. :pray:

4 Likes

Personally I don’t want an email because I get enough spam as it is. I think you should be informed of new updates within both SDA and Cubase itself. The same for instruments such as Halion and Groove agent.