So, It's back to 8.3 then..

What if it indicates a problem between how Cubase, these files and other areas of the system interact?

Have you ever thought it could be a video driver problem?

Kevin you didn’t answer or acknowledge that you tried any of the steps from my previous response. 1. If you open and close cubase without loading a project, does it hang? 2. Do all projects hang on exit or just some? Sorry but it appears that your unwillingness to troubleshoot is because you’d rather complain about Steinberg. People are trying to steer you in a direction that might fix your problem or at least identify what might be causing it but you’re deflecting instead.

no need to start insulting me my friend…this is supposed to be sensible a discusion amongst sensible people…I’m saying this to illustrate that it is possible for cubase to have a fault… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
something you seem unable to comprehend… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I look forward to your next insult… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’m certainy not unwilling to trouble shoot… :slight_smile:

I did all the trouble shooting with the 8 version only to find I’d wasted my time because everything showed my system to be ok…then 8.3 appeared and everything was fixed…then 8.5 appeared and it’s wrong again…so basically I’m not prepared to waste my time troubleshooting any more…I’m gonna wait for some updates which I bet puts it right!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: and I started this thread to illustrate that maybe peeps should wait for some updates before spending time worrying about their system…

best, Kevin :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ok to clear this up a bit.
This fix i posted i had to do when i switched my Geforce 210 to a radeon hd 6450, wich had horrible performance on 8.0.30. But i didn’t have crash on exit problems. When i started using the Radeon HD6450 my GUI lag problem was gone but i noticed that Cubase needed a long time to start up now. It was hanging specificially on “Video Engine” for sometimes 2 Minutes before it continued what you could see on the screens progress.

When i was closing Cubase i used process monitor to see what happend. I saw that the Videoengine was still up and running and just didn’t close. So i assume Cubase was waiting for it to close. Bad though it didn’t shut down

Well i quess you could say that this specific Problem was indeed system related on my mashine. So my conclusion: Erase the videoengine all together as i don’t need it anyways. Problem was solved

Since shadowfax is also on a radeon graphics card i thought its worth to try this fix.

I thinks its not just as simple as “Cubase is the culprit” or “You system is the culprit”. I think there are certain variables and specific setups that can result in Problems. Unfortunately it can mean that if one Cubase Version runs like a charm the next patch can change that. Who is the culprit? hard to say.

For instance. I had a problem with the meldaproduction plugins on C 8.0.3. When i did a very first startup on the day with cubase and loaded up a project with one of these plugins they took about 1 minute to initially open the plugin window. Once this happend they open fast like expected. Even when i closed Cubase and reopend it they opend immediatly. But when i rebooted the maschine the same happend again. Now is this my system or Cubase?
Because this problem has completely gone since 8.5. Even before i did this fix.

I am able to comprehend that Cubase can have problems, ones that are reproducible on every system. If a fault isn’t reproducible on every system then how can it be a purely Cubase fault? That is something you don’t seem able to comprehend.

Perhaps the fault appears when you combine Cubase and some other variable, some variable that isn’t present on my two systems that exit as expected. Someone has even taken the time to post a video showing Cubase exiting as expected and you still insist that the problem is Cubase alone.

why then, does 8.3 work perfectly and on exactly the same system 8.5 will not close…what is in my system that only affects some versions…wish I knew if and what it may be…what variable are we talking about :question: and all I keep trying to say here is that I am not happy about spending time trying to fix a version that suddenly does not work when the last version does work beautifully on exactly the same system…I don’t get the variable thing…there are no variables…it’s the same system…and if they are releasing a version that affects your system they should tell us…
and I re iterate…version 8 had all sorts wrong and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong with my system to no avail…then 8.30 came along and hey presto…no more problems…from this, I learn a lesson, don’t buy until the trial works…
I’m very happy with 8.3 and Cubase is 2nd to none in the DAW field IMHO…It is my opinion that they keep releasing the versions too early…
I anticipate no more problems with cubase because I will always only give the trial ago (when it’s available) and buy it if it works for me…I recommend this to all…if it don’t work…you’ve not lost any money nor spent time trying to fix something that should work… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I thank you for your post my friend… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Come to my studio and I will show you Cubase isn’t broken. Not to mention, look at my signature and see I am far from a plain vanilla setup…Sorry Kevin but the idea that you have no part in troubleshooting a problem that doesn’t affect the masses is preposterous. Not going to comment anymore other than I hope you sort it all out.

bit of a long journey…I’m based in Europe…y’know…that place thats busy destroying itself :frowning: :frowning:

Did all my trouble shooting with the first version of 8 to no availe, an update fixed it…why should i waste more time when I’m pretty sure an updates gonna fix it.
and I have a version of cubase that is not broken also, it’s Cubase 8.3… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

best to you and i will let Steinberg sort it out… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I sincerely thank all who involved themselves in this post… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Kevin :slight_smile:

It is entirely possible for an install to go awry and create this very scenario that you have described: Cubase 8.0.30 working just fine and 8.5 crashing on exit, or exhibiting some other erratic behaviour. This, however, does not in any way prove your contention that 8.5 is somehow flawed, not even if a couple others have the same problem.
So far some very experienced users have tried to convince you not to give up and to continue troubleshooting, which would result in a working Cubase 8.5 that would cease to crash, and would in fact be steadier than the version you are currently using (My findings).
You are overlooking something, that is a fact, I promise you. How do I know, you ask? Because over the many years I have been doing this I have had many clients that have cried wolf, or the sky is falling, or given up swearing that they have done everything known to the universe to no avail, only to be very happy to have finally been proven wrong, once the stubborn wore off. And because I also have a great working copy of Cubase 8.5 that doesn’t crash on closing, or otherwise. Find that hard to believe if you must, but you are only shooting yourself in the foot and ignoring good advice. Good luck with that, really.

Where are you getting version 8.3? I thought 8.5 was the only major update since 8.

It’s 8.0.30, not 8.3.

Quote from JL Bowie…
It is entirely possible for an install to go awry and create this very scenario that you have described: Cubase 8.0.30 working just fine and 8.5 crashing on exit, or exhibiting some other erratic behaviour. This, however, does not in any way prove your contention that 8.5 is somehow flawed, not even if a couple others have the same problem.
So far some very experienced users have tried to convince you not to give up and to continue troubleshooting, which would result in a working Cubase 8.5 that would cease to crash, and would in fact be steadier than the version you are currently using (My findings).
You are overlooking something, that is a fact, I promise you. How do I know, you ask? Because over the many years I have been doing this I have had many clients that have cried wolf, or the sky is falling, or given up swearing that they have done everything known to the universe to no avail, only to be very happy to have finally been proven wrong, once the stubborn wore off. And because I also have a great working copy of Cubase 8.5 that doesn’t crash on closing, or otherwise. Find that hard to believe if you must, but you are only shooting yourself in the foot and ignoring good advice. Good luck with that, really.[/quote]

this is me… :slight_smile:
All I saying my friend is…I’m gonna wait untill Steinberg fix it like they fixed Cubase 8 that was a problem for me untill they updated it…I tried the only thing that was suggested and it did not work for me…all the other stuff involves all the usual latency mon and various other stuff that i and a few others via team view tried and found my system was in good fettle…not wasting my time again…
Cubase 8.0.30 works brilliantly…their update should work also…if this makes me stubborn then so be it…just want something I pay for to work like the previous version does… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I’m not shooting myself in the foot…I have a perfect working version of Cubase 8.0.30 and I’m not wasting my valuable time trying to fix something that should work…I’ll let you guy’s know when an update makes 8.5 close for me… :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

best, Kevin :slight_smile: :slight_smile:[/quote]

For someone who doesn’t want to spend his “valuable time” on troubleshooting, you sure spend (or waste) a lot of time defending your stubborn position. Wait for Steinberg to fix what? The problem could be on your end so how can you be so sure a fix is coming? Last suggestion… In addition to what I already suggested, run Cubase in safe mode, temporarily disable your preferences and see what happens…

Here’s a story for you: Immediately after installing, Cubase 8.5 was noticably sluggish until I dumped my preferences. Guess what? It fixed the problem! I troubleshooted the issue, didn’t blame Steinberg nor did I wait for a fix…and yeah it wasn’t sluggish in 8.0…

Well i quess we run in circles now.
The interactions between software and Hardware expecially in that great variaty of PC Components and different drivers for these is way to complex to narrow it down to some specific thing. Its always easy to blame steinberg. But: They for sure don’t have thousands of different PCs build with every possible combination of soft-/hardware. to run testing.
So objectivly how many people complain about a certain problem and how many people are happy with Cubase? If 25 people complain about hang on exit here than this is for sure not the majority of people using Cubase. And also keep in mind that usually only those post here in the issue section who have a problem and not those who are perfectly happy customers.
And keep in mind that Cubase is very common compared to many other DAW’s. If 99 from 100 people use Cubase and 1 uses something else than of course you will hear more complaint about Cubase.

Guys take it easy, there are serious problems with 8x for many users and Stienberg has acknowledged this in the Open Plea post. I am a ten year Cubase veteran and since 7 and especially 8x. I have experienced exactly what this thread originally posted, but with my system I am stuck on 8.10 because later versions give me tremendous issues …I do commercial work and have to roll back or go with what works for me in order to deliver, as do others, regardless of whether it’s 8.1,2,3,5 that doesn’t matter, I believe the soon to come hot fix for 8.3 and 8.5 will help.

Yeah, this is going in circles, I’m being called stubborn by people equally as stubborn… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
when they release an update which enables my version of CP8.5 to close I will let everyone know…I’m dead sure this will happen…it happened with my crazy version of CP8 which turned into an awesome version when it became CP8.0.30…on the same system…

I respect everybody’s point of view on this , but mine seems to be ignored…
some peeps are lucky and some are not…maybe it’s the system…maybe it isn’t…
in my case Cubase8 got better all by itself and because of this I believe Cubase 8.5 will also heal itself with some updates,just like 8 did, we will see…
my future with Cubase is gonna always be…try the trial first…then buy or not…because I’m in Heaven with my current version of 8.0.30,

I recommend all to go off and make music now…I believe this thread has run it’s course… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

maybe my message of…it’s not necessarily your system got through to some…if an update does not enable my 8.5 to open I will immidiately be on the forum to admit I must have been wrong!! I have no problem with this… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: because I know it will make a lot of people happy :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

A thought though…why is the 8.5 trial not available now…could it be they know it’s not finished properly yet?
thank you… :slight_smile:

best, Kevin :slight_smile:

LTTP, sorry.

Here to say i’m in the same ship.

My computer is the same since a few years, and while some versions of Cubase were hard to work with (between 7 and 7.5), i had no issues with 8. With 8.5, it looks a lot like unstable, which is something i cant afford. video engine crashes are back while there’s no reasons on my side. No change of GC, no Quicktime change… And switching from one project window to another lead to crashes eventually. I’ve documented these in the issue section. But i feel there’s more, like, i never had any crashes on exit before, and then i had a few.

So it’s not because you never had any weirdness YET that you can consider yourself a hardware config ninja who can bash the little minions around. It will be funny how you’ll SCREAM when it will eventually happen to you, one update or another.

Been there done that.

Ha ha, nice one :slight_smile: