So what's the élastique algorithm?

Hi,

1/ I was trying to use VariAudio on a vocal take, but each time I’m moving one note, it switches from the élastique Pro algorithm to the Standard algo:

So how do we use the élastique Pro algo?

2/ I wanted to transpose the whole vocal take by -2 semitones. I don’t want to use the transpose option in the info line since it’s not as good as what VariAudio can produce.

I don’t want to use that:

So how do we transpose tracks with VariAudio?

It’s been stated here before by one of the mods that the standard works better than élastique on VariAudio hence the inability to select it!!! Thats is you cant use élastique when in VariAudio.

Can you not select all the notes within vari-audio and drag them down as many semi tones as required?

That’s what I was trying to do but it’s not working: as soon as I try to move up/down the notes VariAudio goes crazy.

“standard - solo” sounds like crap for anything more than the smallest pitch change.
it also sounds like crap for anything more than the slightest length change.
In another thread (which I can no longer find) SB said that they think “standard solo” sounds better than “elastique”.
I beg to differ! There is a world of difference. Elastique is way smoother, more like melodyne. They also said that “elastique cannot be used to change pitch, only duration, that’s why it can’t be used in variaudio”. That is contradicting information in the manual - one of their elastique algorithms is called “elastique with formant correction” - when else can you have formant correction besides when changing the pitch??

EDIT: Found the thread: POLL: Who wants Elastique added to VariAudio? - #18 by Puma0382 - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

Does say in the manual p260 that Elastique is only good for pitch shift up to 4 and time stretch up to 10.

Transpose portions of track rather than the whole take. Transposing whole takes is too much of a mouthful for most pitch-stretchers.

And how do we use the élastique algo?

Also, why would transposing portions of a take be better than transposing the whole take?

1: Mystery. May work on short samples. Like you I tried it just in a song I am working on. I think it’s a dark art to get either the Sample editor or the Audio editor at will.
2: Transposing portions is less strain on the CPU which means you get less artifacts. And short notes will be less apt to have artifacts too so you may have to have a couple of goes at long note sections.
3: Use pitch-shifting as little as possible. If we still can’t get drum machines right then the job with melodic instruments will be at least ten times as hard.
4: Never believe the promo guff. It’s never as good as they say it is. It 's definitely never as good as any of us thinks it should be.

I recorded some vocal takes… and i am with the same dilemma.
On Pro Tools, we can in fact, change the algorithm we want to work and we work!
I’m on Cubase 6.5… Here, even if we select the elastique pro pitch formant algorithm in order to change the vocals, the editor immediately change the algorithm to standard solo after changing one note with variaudio… WHY?
I can’t understand where is the sense here.

Anyone can explain for what are the algorithms… ?

For everything that is not VariAudio.

isnt it best to use variaudio in mono always(dont know if you were) ,plus i was reading something somewhere and it said its best to get rid of all other noises even breathing because the pitch shift dosesnt know what to do with it . i don`t know.

Yes, thats true…
But what i’m talking doesn’t have nothing to do with that matter.

I use professional material… i don’t have noises and such…

The thing is, i thought we could use better algorithms while editing voices in pitch correction.
Sometimes we have limitations, we hear glitches and transients…
I thought that its very strange to have the option to select the algorithms and not use them while in Variaudio.

that sounds like a contradiction in terms, professional and pitch correction

If you have patience and want a really god result you can go mad scientist on it. In addition to using VariAudio or Melodyne, make a composite of many different pitch shifted files if you’re going for more extreme transposing than your standard pitch correction. Cut, paste, crossfade, use the best parts and make one track of it. That’s the only way I can get a decent sounding take without metallic sounding artifacts on S-es and things like that.

Using Cubase’s Pitch Shifter? I didn’t know its output could be recorded, I’ll have to look at that -

Thanks!