Solfege Chords with moveable do

Is there a way to sort of “combine” solfege naming with nashville numbering? If not, would it be possible to add?

I need the “moveable do with la based minor”-system. It looks like this:

Given you are in A-Major the chord formular 1 5 6- 4 (A E F#m D) would be Do So La- Fa.
In G-Major 1 5 6- 4 (G D Em C) would also be Do So La- Fa.

In E-Minor 1- 4- 5 (Em Am B) would be La- Re- Mi.
In D-Minor 1- 4- 5 (Dm Gm A) would be La- Re- Mi.

Here is a reference to the standard syllables used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfège#Movable_do_solfège

Thank You!

At the moment, Dorico’s chord symbols use fixed do, because according to the research we’ve done, all of the European languages that use solfège for note names always used the fixed do convention for chord symbols.

Thank you for your quick reply, Daniel!

The solfege I was talking about is not meant to represent the note names. It rather represents the relation to the tonic - pretty much like the nashville number system does, but using (relative) solfege instead of numbers.

The use of relative solfege is increasing in music pedagogy, because it makes it so much easier to develope aural skills and connect them to reading music.
Thus it would be great if Dorico would add some functions that makes creating teaching materials for relative solfege faster and easier.

So the solfège isn’t for chord symbols at all, but rather for showing the scale degree of the melodic note, as you often see printed in choral music as an additional representation of the music above or below the standard staff notation? Dorico has no support at all for that kind of solfège at the moment, I’m afraid.

micck, a number of users utilize solfege, myself included. There are several options, the easiest of which is probably to use the lyric translation line to enter them as italicized lyrics (or whatever text formatting you choose).

What I use is for chord symbols:

The first use of relative solfege (not fixed-do where do is always c) is for melodic notes. But there are additional ones.
What I´m talking about here is using Do, Re, Mi, etc. as chord symbols. It is the same “system” as the nashville numbering, but using the syllables (Do, Re, Mi, etc.) instead of numbers.
So if you would replace the following in your code for the Nashville Root-appearance, I would have what I wanted: 1=Do, #1=Di, b2=Ra, 2=Re, #2=Ri, b3=Me, 3=Mi, etc.
I don´t know how complicated it would be to add such an additional naming to an existing function, but I hope it´s something that´s pretty easy to do. I would appreciate it very much.

It is being used when one learns music using melodic relative solfege (not fixed-do solfege) first and then uses that skill to expand it to chords. This kind of naming has its advantages over the nashville system whenever you have music which is not solely in major.

Thanks Dan, I know I can input the chords also using the lyric function, but depending on the students skill level and educational purpose I need to be able to switch between “relative chord naming” (Re-7 So7 Domaj7) and “fixed chord naming” (A-7 D7 Gmaj7). Thus it would be best to just change the root-appearance and be done.

At least as far as I know…

Also, to my knowledge, most U. S. schools use la-based minor, but some use do-based minor.

I have one client who needs solfege, and for her, I still use Finale in that I’ve a text-expression library ready to go. I should love to be able to use solfege in Dorico in such a way I can change the font and move each solfege syllable around independently.

I don’t think that’s accurate. Fish and Lloyd, Ottman, and Kostka-Payne all prefer do-based minor (though Ottman doesn’t officially take a position, it certainly favors it).

Kodaly is la-based, of course, but I don’t think that represents a majority in the US.

I’d swap the statements: I think do-based is the majority, and some use la-based. Much ink has been spilled over the comparative virtues of each…

dankreider, I’ll take your word for it and swap my statements. :slight_smile: