"Solo------|" for woodwind instruments

Hello,

How do you insert “Solo------|” for a woodwind instrument?

• Staff text and System text do not have dotted lines.
  • crescendo, dim, etc. provide suffix and prefix, but they cannot hide text.
  • Playing techniques do not offer dotted lines.
  • Tempo text affects all staves.

Does anyone have a smart solution?

Misuse a pedal line.

I don’t have a computer to hand, but this gives you all the information you need: Creating new Playing Technique based on Sustain Pedal possible? - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Thank you!
This is a perfect solution for notation.

I have a question about playing:
In the Pedal Line, there are no MIDI-related options.
I think Pedal Line produces MIDI-event.
Does Dorico not produce MIDI event if I change the text?

Dear prko,
Maybe I misunderstood something, but I think there is no such thing in Dorico as “Pedal Line produces MIDI event”. What could exist, is that a playing technique triggers something, providing there is an expression map that translates that playing technique into something, which might well be a MIDI event (or something else). Question is : what is the probability that someone from the team has build an expression map for a woodwind instrument that would trigger “anything” if a pedal line is used. I’d bet : none. But I’d be glad to be proved wrong :wink:

Hope this helps (a little)!

It does produce a MIDI event.

Please refer to the following screenshot from Dorico:

bar 1: sustain pedal mark
bar 3: sostenuto pedal mark
bar 5: soft pedal mark
bar 8: Solo -----| created by using sustain pedal mark

I saved this file and then exported the flow as a MIDI file, then imported in Logic Pro. The following is the whole MIDI events of the clarinet:

In bar 8, there is a sustain pedal event…

Regretfully, making text by using pedal marking is not a good solution if we use Dorico also to make demonstration audio files.

You can select the pedal line and set the ‘Muted’ property in the Common group of Properties.

At the risk of becoming a one-trick pony, I suggest Arrow Crafter font (which Daniel actually made me aware of). Its length will be fixed, of course, but there are all sorts of options for lines.

Thank you for the information.

Is it, however, an official method?

Is it not better to have a dedicated method for such markings with various lines required for this because of the following reasons:

1. Some markings like “Solo—|” are not placed under a staff, but above a staff:
  2. Moving a marking to above a staff in Engrave mode is confusing because it still appears under the staff in Gallery view after moving the position to above the staff.

There’s no official method for this yet, prko.

Of course it’s not the official method.