Solo track vs Solo folder and send-return path

Hi,

I am reading a book about group ( full page is attached

) and folder tracks in Cubase.

The book is written by Friedemann Tishmeyer ( he is now conducting a Mastering workshop with Wavelab for Steinberg). The name of the book is “Internal mixing” and that was an exerpt from page 100 ( the only bullet on that page).

I attached the page to the OP. download/file.php?id=56732

It says:

If you use the audio channel send path rather than the group send path to control send effects, you can use the solo function of the folder track to listen to “web” solos and the solo function of the group track to listen to “dry” solos. The logic behind … when you solo the group track only the send send-return paths of the group track are not in use, you can now listen to the dry sound…

Also, are these the correct signal path for channels and group tracks in Cubase?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CS

Hi,

What kind of book is this? This is really messy…

So to understand the Folder in the Project window (there is no Folder track representation in the MixConsole). The folder track allows you to cluster multiple tracks. Then you can collapse the folder so you don’t see all the tracks and you can focus on the other tracks. If you hit Solo on the Group track, the result is very same as if you would press Solo on every single track in the folder one by one (from top to down). So all related Solo will follow. Like if you route the track to the Group, the Group will be Soloed too. If you route the track to a Send, the Send will be Soloed too.

Group Channel works the same way as a Group on the real mix consoles. So you can pre-mix some channels. If you Solo a Group Channel, all sources are Soloed too, same as the Output (and Sends) of the Group. The same applies for FX Channels and Sends.

Thank you, Martin, for chiming in.

I also would recommend to dump the book that has been mentioned. If the quotation is typical for its content, it is pure rubish. Confusing and not helpful.

The book is written by Friedemann Tishmeyer ( he is now conducting a Mastering workshop with Wavelab for Steinberg). The name of the book is “Internal mixing” and that was an exerpt from page 100 ( the only bullet on that page).

I attached the page to the OP. Steinberg Forums

I’m afraid I have to resurrect this.

I cannot get folder tracks to solo only one at a time or individual tracks and I have already disabled “enable solo on selected tracks” would appreciate some help.

For clarity partly, I have to press CTRL click to get the desired behaviour, but I needed that to be the default and further it never works on folder tracks.