Solved - Cubase 11.020 - First Playback in new (or not) project, everything crash... Win10

Hi, I have noticed with 11.02 in any project, playback crashes everything on the first run of Cubase.
I need to terminate Cubase and re-open and after everything works for some time…
Anyone else sees this behavior?
is 11.02 thing? or I need to check if is an issue with my system?

Hi,

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Could you provide the *.crash/dmp file?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

I tried already with the preferences disabled.
I don’t have any crash damps regarding this issue, my last c.damps files are from February (v11.10).
The only change in the system is that I have removed a Texas Instruments Firewire PCI-E Controller, together with an RME Fireface 800, and I have added an RME RayDat PCI-E.
And also I have installed the latest’s NVIDIA Drivers (1060 6gb)
(Just mention, I am sure this is not the case).
I will do some more tests and I will come back to the thread.
Just wanted to confirm and be sure that there is no issue with the 11.20 update.
(I didn’t had any similar behavior like that with 11.10)
Thank you. : ))

Hi,

I wouldn’t be so sure about this. NVIDIA is source of lots of Cubase and plug-ins crashes on several systems.

I keep seeing this presented as fact in various posts and I wonder how true it actually is.
I have reasonable experience with a number of media production apps (video editing, film post production, game engines, animation and visual effects etc) and I use NVidia graphic cards (and did so for decades). My experience with NVidia is that the drivers are good and stable, and pretty much all the apps I’m using confirm that.

This is the only forum where I see instabilities of a particular piece of software routinely blamed on the graphics vendor, with the implication that there’s nothing to be done on the software vendor side.
How is this “fact” supposed to hold?
NVidia cards are overwhelmingly used in the content creation field, be it video editing, motion graphics, animation and visual effects. It is then the card that is most likely to be found in a system running Cubase (as long as the system is not exclusively dedicated to running Cubase, which is not common and not reasonable to expect).
So when most other apps run well and stable on the most common graphics vendor in the industry, and one particular software has issues, who should be expected to deal with the problem?

1 Like

From my personal experience, I never had a problem with NVIDIA cards after investigating some of the NVIDIA & Windows settings. For example, the first thing that will help a lot in a music production PC system is to remove the PHYX driver (not even install actually) and HD Audio drivers, during the NVIDIA Installation. On NVIDIA settings you need also to set Threaded optimization to OFF and Power Management mode to Maximum Performance. (The rest of the settings on default mode). This setting had improved a lot the minor latency problems that an NVIDIA card can create with the Audio & Midi. I will check more the issue of the thread and I will update soon the next days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

This is the procedure, which works for many Cubase users (use mentioning this, you can try or not; it also fits to the @Orestis comment):

• Download the latest Studio driver version from here.
  • Disconnect the computer from Internet to make sure Windows will not download and install own graphic driver.
  • Uninstall the NVIDIA driver.
  • Restart computer.
  • Start the NVIDIA driver installation (as administrator).
  • Don’t install the whole package, use the Custom (Advanced) settings.
  • Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.
  • Connect your computer to the internet.

So after spending some time I have deleted the preferences and remove all the .xml setting files, and I have set everything from the beginning (except the key commands) everything works now as expected. Thank you. : ))

I have a problem with Cubase quitting, I have to force quit with the task maneger (Terminate Cubase process). Steinberg technicians advised me to install NVIDIA graphics drivers (clean install) but I did not solve the problem. But they recommended disabling the Nvidia drivers and using the motherboard drivers. I would like to understand which video card I can install without having problems.

Hi,

This is the best way to handle NVIDIA graphic card with DAW:

• Download the latest Studio driver version from here.
  • Disconnect the computer from Internet to make sure Windows will not download and install own graphic driver.
  • Uninstall the NVIDIA driver.
  • Restart computer.
  • Start the NVIDIA driver installation (as administrator).
  • Don’t install the whole package, use the Custom (Advanced) settings.
  • Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.
  • Connect your computer to the internet.