[SOLVED] cubasis fireface ucx m.ch. output malfunction

Hi Folks!
This is my second post regarding Cubasis and this time it`s about a malfunction of the multichannel Output from Cubasis to my a RME Fireface UCX.
First of all, Cubasis is the only app I have that is able to send audio to different Output channels and the Fireface is the only multichannel CC Interface I have , so it’s difficult to say which one is causing the problem.

The Problem is: I have created various Projects with Cubasis 1.9.5 on an Ipad mini Air with IOS 8.4 that have audio- and midichannels routed to different Outputs, which is working like it should. But it always takes Cubasis quite same time after launching to remember, that it has multiple Outputs active. At first everything goes out on channel 1/2, then after a series of opening of Projects, suddenly the Routing is correct. Closing and restarting of Cubasis or the ipad doesn’t help immediately. It always takes some time.
Anybody having encountered the same Problem with a Fireface or any other multichannel Interface? Can sombody from Steinberg reproduce the issue?
Thanks in advance
Matt

Hi Matt,

I’ve checked back with RME regarding your issue:
So far they did not experience any problems with Cubasis and their class compliant interfaces.

They suggest to make use of their TotalMix FX app for iPad that allows to choose the multi-channel mode of the interface (instead of stereo) for playback.

This should instantly help to solve the issue.

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars!
Sorry, i forgot to mention: of course I’m using the TotalMix App, so that is not the solution and it doesn’t make a difference if I open the RME app before opening Cubasis or not.
Nobody else having problems with multichannel output from Cubasis?
Matt

Hi Matt,

Cubasis should recognise all available outputs a few seconds after the app has launched.

I suggest to give the iPad a full restart (“turn power off”) and try it again afterwards.
Please let me have your feedback about the outcome.

Thanks
Lars

Hi Lars!

Full restart doesn’t bring any improvement. Cubasis seems to take quite some time to recognise all available Outputs. This is very annoying since I decided to use the ipad with Cubasis as a live sequencer for a one of my bands providing different mixes for the drummer the FOH.
I’m interested if you have done some testing with any CC-multichannel audiointerface that you have? Maybe it’s a problem especially with Cubasis, the ipad and the RME fireface UCX.
Best,
Matt

Hi Lars!
Finally i got it!
I found the settings (In TotalMix FX App: Options -> RME Interface Settings -> I/O Options: Output Channel Count req. -> Multichannel)
you recommended after checking back with RME support and after a full restart of the IPAD t works immediately as it should.
What might be interesting for everybody using multichannel output from the Ipad with an RME Fireface UCX interface:
It works as long as the Ipad is connect to the Fireface and the fireface is switched on. After disconnecting the usb cable, connecting again and starting TotalMix FX, it’s back to 2-channel-mode and not changeable by switching settings in TotalMix FX. You have to make a full restart of the Ipad. I’m in contact with RME if this is improvable by an update or caused by limitations of IOS. As I said I don’t have another multi-output interface for the Ipad to do more tests.
Best,
Matt

Glad to hear your up and running!

I finally figured that it all was my mistake which led to the problem. The multioutput projects of Cubasis in question involved interapp audioconnections from IMPC Pro. But I didn’t start IMPC Pro before Cubasis. An this somehow made the TotalMix App from RME switch to stereooutput mode. When I start the IMPC app before Cubasis everything works immediately without a full restart of the Ipad.
Matt

Thanks for letting us and others know!

Best,
Lars