SOLVED - Download Assistant update problems

I tried to start up the Download assistant today – an alter popped up saying “Updating Download Assistant.” After 30-40 seconds, an error alert popped up directing me to a page on the Steinberg website.

I followed the directions on the page, started up the download assistant – same problem.

I uninstalled/reinstalled the Download Assistant. Same problem.

Does anyone know what’s going on with the Download Assistant?

Thanks,
Doug

1 Like

Hi,

Did you install the components separately, please? If you are on Windows, did you install them as Administrator (same as Steinberg Download Assistant), please?

I did install the components separately. It seemed to make no difference to the end result.

This was shortly after the Licence Manager updated itself – perhaps I should uninstall that and try reinstalling?

Hi,

This might help. Please, make suer you install it as Administrator, if you are on Windows.

I uninstalled everything except Cubase and reinstalled it. I am still seeing the same symptoms. As far as I know, this doesn’t really affect anything, so I can probably just ignore it for now. Does that seem reasonable or should I continue working past this glitch?

Also, I should say: I’m on a Mac running Catalina with all the latest updates.

I’ve figured this out. The Download Assistant was trying update the eLicenser Control Center. It wrote the install file (DMG) to a temporary location and then failed for some reason. I installed the new eLicenser Control Center from the DMG that had been written. After that the Download Assistant made no more attempts to update anything.

Odd, but not unheard of.

1 Like

Same Problem here. Downloading and installing eLicenser, Lib-Manager and DL-Manager didn’t help.

1 Like

I figured out what was happening by running the Download Assistant from the Mac terminal and looking at the output. I don’t know if this is possible on Windows, but if so, it’s really helpful.

I tried this and it didn’t work. When you say “the DMG that had been written,” are there two? I used the one that I downloaded/written to my HD. Can you provide more step-by-step details?

Thanks

@MarkJohnson: This solution only works on the Mac - if there’s a solution that works on Windows, I don’t know how it would work.

I opened up the Mac Terminal program and started the Download Assistant from there with this command (it should be all on one line):

/Applications/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant

When you start it that way, you’ll see that it writes some output to the Terminal. At the end of the startup, I got a message that was something like:

“Using /var/folders/zc/somethingelse/T/eLicenserControl.dmg”

So I navigated to whatever that directory was and then still in the Terminal copied the dmg to my Downloads directory:

cd /var/folders/zc/somethingelse/T
cp eLicenserControl.dmg ~/Downloads

And then using the Mac Finder, I opened the dmg and ran the install program from there.

Hopefully this all makes sense…

Yes, I’m a Mac user. I ran the script in Terminal and searched for “using” in the output but couldn’t find. I did find:

stream: 01/16 17:38:24 [ NOTICE ] Download complete: /var/folders/ht/4kxc30j563ncdl9vzy5_mb3w0000gn/T/a9a8ca0a-35e6-4ede-8f5a-2cbfa276c7b5/eLicenserControl.dmg.sda-download

and

Destination Path for Product ‘eLicenser Control installer’ is set to ‘/var/folders/ht/4kxc30j563ncdl9vzy5_mb3w0000gn/T/a9a8ca0a-35e6-4ede-8f5a-2cbfa276c7b5’

From terminal, I ran: CD/var/folders/ht/4kxc30j563ncdl9vzy5_mb3w0000gn/T/a9a8ca0a-35e6-4ede-8f5a-2cbfa276c7b5

I didn’t receive any errors but I couldn’t find the root of that string (var/folders) from Finder.

From “Macintosh HD’ in Finder I searched for dmg and only found the three dmgs that were downloaded via the message provided by the Download Assistant.

So I’m still lost. I can’t imagine what less technical Mac users are doing at this point. Hopefully Steinberg will provide a more traditional user-based fix.

Thanks,
Mark

Yeah, it’s not possible to do that. You need to get there via Terminal and copy the dmg from the /var/folders… location to somewhere where Finder can access it. I used ~/Downloads

Finder doesn’t find the things like /var or /tmp.

In Jan 2022 I had to run SDM update 3 times then it sorted the elicenser on its own :slight_smile:

But now in Mch 2022 the download manager won’t progress. I’ve run it 5 times now and insists on updating again every time I open it so I can’t get past the update :frowning:

1 Like

download assistant still not working for me…windows 11, can’t get past the sign in stage

on mac - version 1.32.1 is still not working. it doesn´t start up.

Same here (Mac M1)…

Hi,

Sorry, this is the English language forum.

This topic was solved. Please start a new topic