[SOLVED] Insert images for external instruments or gear?

I was wondering if it’s possible to apply a picture for external instruments you’ve setup. So if I want a picture to show for my SR-16 or Mutator in the right pane like for all my VST’s, where do you need to place the image file and then how do you assign it to the instrument?
Is this possible, and if so what image format should be used and is there a size or resolution limitation?

Hi,

The images are stored in the Documents/Steinberg/VST Thumbnails folder. They are stored as *.png and the resolution is 1092x996. But I don’t know, how to name the file.

1 Like

Hello Martin,
Thanks for the reply. I took a look at the existing image files at that location and there’s no way to try to decode those file names! I try a few things but I don’t think this is going to work. Tried drag and drop of the png file onto the external instrument in the right pane with no success. What I think would be a good solution is putting a ‘Load Image’ icon and function on the instrument panel for the external instrument, similar to where the camera is to take images of third party plugins.

For whatever it’s worth, I took a look at the directory and the names, and those names reminded me of common name formats in the Windows Registry, so I searched for the start string of one plugin I recognized in the registry, and, sure enough, I found a match. However, it was in an area of the registry associated with Cakewalk software, not Cubase. Also, even if it were a Steinberg/Cubase area, there would be the question as to whether there would be an equivalent entry for the external plugins that would allow finding the string in order to take out the dashes to create the correct PNG file name. In any case, here is what I’m talking about (specifically for the VST3 version of PSP B-Scanner in this case):

3 Likes

Hi,

Great hint, @rickpaul !

It’s the UID of the plug-in. You can find it in the VstPlugInfoV4.xml file. In this list, I can also see my external instrument. So I suppose, this should work.

3 Likes

Thanks @rickpaul and @Martin.Jirsak ! I’ll look into that later and let you know how it goes!

Oh my, that actually works.
grafik

It seems the pixel size does not require a fixed value. But all files are 24bit PNG files.

3 Likes

Cool. I have a feeling you could set the transparency color in the PNG file to avoid the white (in the case of the JV-2080) background. Guessing Cubase is probably doing something like that in its plugin photo cases since there are various shapes of the actual plugins, but they don’t usually have a fixed color background, just the menu background.

1 Like

I might not be a star in the music biz but my photoshop skills are even worse. :grin:

2 Likes

Excellent! I’m off to setup my Mutator and SR-16 then.
Thanks all!

Excellent detective work everyone!
:clap:

2 Likes

OK, how did you get that to work? I opened the VstPlugInfoV4.xml file for Cubase 13, found my SR-16 and Mutator, copied their UID’s and searched the whole registry (one at a time) . Neither were found.
Anyone have an idea where I went wrong?

Hi,

I understand it so, the registry comes from Cakewalk. Once you find the UID code, name the image (png) by using the UID. This is the link, hope Cubase assigns it to the plug-in.

Sure, don’t go to the registry at all.

Copy the UID from VstPlugInfoV4.xml and make it the filename of your .png file. So the name format is {UID}.png

2 Likes

AH, that makes sense actually. Thanks!

1 Like