[Solved] New Project problem

Me again :slight_smile:

On my newly installed WIn 10, I moved my documents, Public. Pics and Video to a different drive by creating Links.

For info I did this by following online instructions that means from an administrative command prompt

robocopy /MIR %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Joe\Documents D:\Documents

Then booted into safe mode

Then from an administrative command prompt

rmdir /s /q %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Joe\Documents

mklink /D %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Joe\Documents D:\Documents

This works fine. If I or any other program creates something in C:\Users\Joe\Documents, it actually puts in in D\ Documents

But having an odd one with Cubase, probably something Iā€™ve done.

If I create a new project and prompt for project location, it brings up the ā€œSelect Project Folderā€ window, showing the libraries for example

This PC

Desktop
Documents

and I click on Documents, go into ā€œCubase Projectsā€ and I create a new folder for my project.

Once the project window appears, I go File, Save As and save it the same name as I called the New Folder.

In the file browser window that appears, itā€™s saving it to

C:\Users\Joe\Documents\Cubase Projects.ā€¦

And sure enough, if I use windows file explorer and look in the D:\Documents\Cubase Projects\ folder, the file is correctly there.

Thatā€™s all totally fine.

But:

If I start Cubase, or close and reopen the project, it brings up the explorer window thatā€™s looking in

D:\Documents\Cubase Projects.ā€¦

And while itā€™s exactly the same file in there, Cubase doesnā€™t think so and I get a window popping up saying

The Project file has been moved
Please confirm the project working directory

Document path is D:\Documents\Cubase Projects.ā€¦

New (1) D:\Documents\Cubase Projects.ā€¦
Old (2) C:\Users\Joe\Documents\Cubase Projects.ā€¦

While not a big problem, I just donā€™t want Cubase getting confused, thinking about it I could get around it by when I create a new project, select ā€œMy PCā€ then the D drive, then Documents etc and do it that way.

I just wondered if thereā€™s a reason it looks in the D drive when opening projects and creates them in the C drive (again must be me:))

Many thanks

I think it might be an issue with the type of linked used. Thereā€™s a bit of a difference in behavior between a junction link, and a symbolic link. IRC, the symbolic link resolves to the destination link to the calling app, where a junction link does not - meaning the calling app has no knowledge of it being a link.

To change your system folders to another drive you should right click the folder in file manager and select properties. Then select location and it will move everything properly as well as making the new location the actual location for ā€˜My Documentsā€™ and the rest of them.

Thanks.

I have an image backup before I moved the directories, but itā€™s a long job reinstalling things like NI and Omnisphere :slight_smile:

I used to use the Location tab to move directories, but found a few ibts of software I use, still manage to create duplicate directories on myu C drive and put stuff in there.

While I know it should be impossible, I would have C:\Users\Joe\Documents pointing to D:\Documents and I would have another C:\Users\Joe\Documents on my C drive with data in.

Same for m,y Public documents (where all my samples go)

Since using mklink, I havenā€™t had this problem.

Will have to have a think

I went back to my image backup,

Used the Location Tabs as jgrnfld described above (thanks), re-installed all music software and all working 100% fine :slight_smile:

Coolā€¦