[SOLVED] Recording Guitar through THR II 30

Hello everyone,

Longtime Steinberg user (Cubase Pro 10.5 atm). I bought the Yamaha THR II 30 a month ago and saw that it had an activation code for Cubasis 2 LE. After some discussions with the really helpful (seriously!) Yamaha support team they finally acknowledged that the THR supports Cubasis (new gear, I know) and explained how to activate it. Worked like a charm. I liked the LE version and though the guitar recordings sounded not very crisp, I bought Cubasis 3 to be able to make full blown demos on the go. Same dull guitar recordings as in the LE version until I found out that although I connected the THR via camera connection kit the guitar was recording via the internal microphone of the iPad. Since keyboard and mics work flawlessly via USB I wanted to know why that is and how I can fix that. I could ask the Yamaha support team too, but since they told me that they had to consult you guys, I thought I’ll go straight to the source. Any help appreciated…

Hi Beltemps,

Thank you for your message.

Please have a look at our available Cubasis tutorial, which demonstrates how to route audio channels to a dedicated hardware:

Please let me know if this helps to solve the problem.

Thanks,
Lars

Thanks Lars for the answer, but it didn’t solve my problem. I know how to connect and route audio sources to my iOS device. I’m doing this with an external usb mic and with an iRig guitar adapter. But since the Yamaha THR II series has an audio interface and advertises its iOS compatibility, I wanted to know how to record my guitar sound directly to Cubasis with the built-in Audio Interface. I’m using the camera connection kit, Cubasis recognizes the THR via USB and Bluetooth but it doesn’t record its output.

Hi Beltemps,

Thank you for the update.
Since I’m not equipped with the THR II 30, I will exchange with my colleagues from Yamaha regarding the topic.

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars, Any news from Yamaha?

Hi Beltemps,

Thank you for your message.

We’ve just recieved a THRII amp series device ourselves, and I gave the issue a short check.

Connecting the THR amp to the iPad via the recommended USB Apple adapters*, allows to record the amp signal to a Cubasis audio track. In addition, Cubasis is played back over the THR II speaker.

*Please connect your THR-II device to the iPad, using a USB cable and the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.
If you own the latest iPad Pro model, please establish a connection between your THR-II device and the iPad via the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter or the USB-C to USB Adapter.

Best,
Lars

Thanks Lars. Not sure what happened but it works. The latency when recording is noticeable but at least it works. Thanks man!

Hi Beltemps,

Thanks for the update!
Glad to hear it’s working.

Best,
Lars

Hi I have the same problem, I cannot get Cubasis 3 to record from THR30 from USB or MIDI over Bluetooth. In Cubasis I can Connect fine the THR30, but no sound.

Hi S1e1an,

Please follow the steps above, to properly connect the THRII30 with your iPad.
Here, it is strongly suggested to only use Apple original adapters.

Thanks,
Lars