Some basic Instrument vs Midi track help needed

Ok, need some clarification before I go off the deep end. I’m sure I’m overlooking the obvious.

When you have an Instrument track, it’s not possible to change the midi channel - even in the Midi > List Editor. Even though the List Editor has a column to edit the midi channels (and I tried changing them). On an instrument track, described as a hybrid midi type sorta track, you can apply audio effects as an insert or send. But… you can’t use multiple midi outputs on individual tracks, say from Kontakt. Which sucks.

When you use a Midi track, you can have multiple tracks and midi channels - great - but you can’t use the audio effects/plugins. So that sucks…

So you might see what I’m getting at. I want to use audio effects/plugins/automation on my midi tracks, while/or having a way to separate parts of an instrument on individual tracks without having to create a gazillion instances of one VST.

It couldn’t be as difficult as I’m making it, so would really appreciate any production tips that are prolly right in my face.

Thanks-!

What you can change are the MIDI channels per note, which is useful if you instance multiple generators or sample players for an instrument, regardless of whether or not an instrument track is being used.

On an instrument track, described as a hybrid midi type sorta track, you can apply audio effects as an insert or send. But… you can’t use multiple midi outputs on individual tracks, say from Kontakt.[…]When you use a Midi track, you can have multiple tracks and midi channels - great - but you can’t use the audio effects/plugins.

You can if you use the rack (I personally only use Instrument tracks for live playing) and as Instrument tracks are handled differently to VST outputs, in terms of the audio engine; they can be risky and probably best to avoid if for example you want to create a great many tracks, e.g. stick to MIDI and the VST rack which may by all accounts be more time consuming; but in the long run more rewarding in terms of building a composition.

You put audio effects on the instrument channel associated with the MIDI track.

I think you mean MIDI “part” right?

No

Surely you don’t confuse a part for a track, or a MIDI for an audio part?

Surely

Seems you´re confusing some things here again…

Add VSTi to inst rack, enable as many outs as desired. In VSTi, select desired sounds for each output and set each to a different MIDI channel. Add MIDI tracks to project with the VSTi selected as the output and the different MIDI channels for each track. Expand the VSTi folder in the track list to see all of the outputs you added. Here, you can add audio effects to the sound being triggered by the MIDI tracks.

I see what ya mean. I’m starting to question why one would use an instrument track at all.

Because you don´t have the separation between MIDI and audio track, which can be simpler in some cases, and in some not.

What’s the problem with many instances of the same VST? If you think that it eats more CPU, than it is not true - i’ve done tests myself. If you think that having many instances is confusing, you’ll see that having two channels per part (one MIDI channel and one VST output channel) is even more confusing, when you start mixing and automating.