some examples of system collision

Hello,

The way how Dorico avoids the system collision is impressive. It already reduces lots of time to work.

I have experienced some similar collision cases while making part layouts.
Generally speaking, Dorico seems to not find the best values for Tempo markings, System text, rehearsal numbers and tempo change.
I am attaching some examples:

Moreover, I would like to list what I found:

1. Dorico does not detect if text (system text, tempo marking etc.) in a bar exceeds the bar width. It causes especially a problem if the bar appears at the end of the system because the text also appears on the page margin.

2. Dorico does not occasionally detect the spaces among tempo markings, system text, title and dynamics.

3. It would be great if Dorico automatically attach dynamic mark a bit left side of the note when

• the default position of the dynamic mark is below tuplet or
  • there is rest in the left side of the note.
    It will reduce vertical spaces. This example is included in the picture above.

I am not sure if it is possible to implement these values to avoid the collision automatically. However, I hope this might help to develop Dorico.

These are known issues. Rehearsal marks is another big one.

Is it correct that Dorico currently never changes (decreases) the number of systems on a page in trying to avoid system collisions? I have many cases where I have to manually add frame breaks to avoid system collisions, with automatic staff spacing turned on. The automatic staff spacing widens the gap between staves on a system, but then the systems start colliding with each other, and Dorico then doesn’t push one system onto the next page.

This has come up lots of times before. One of these days I’ll write up a definitive explanation that I can point to, but for now I’ll point to this one at random.

Thank you for the link, Daniel.