some general questions

hey

just bought cubase 10 pro
win 10 64bit
akai eie pro

hope you can help

1. how do you control the volume of an entire midi evant (not channel)?
    lets say i press hard when i played and i want to decrease the volume?

in audio i know you can press and drag on the midlle of the evant down and up.

1. can u guys explain about steinberg hardware?
    what ot does and what kind of hardware there are?

2. can i make a key short for opening a new audio track with guitar rig?

3. i just started to learn piano with a teacher. any advice? i want to learn how to play other stuff like violin and drums on the midi keyboard…

4. any recommendation of a 32 keys mini midi keyboard? best and cheap around 50$? i sometimes have time to play at work (when theres no clients)

5. if i want to record guitar with a pedal effact, what settings do i need to change? in cubase/audio interferce?

6. i have a windows pc. can i create 2 windows? one with cubase (without anything else installed other than windows) and other with games, youtube home cinema ext?
    is it possible? im afraid of viruses, i know a studio which got hacked and lost everything.

7. i have the Akai EIE PRO audio interferce and 2 monitors.
    can i connect a subwoofer (that have built in amp inside) (of my old 5.1 home cinema)?
    will it work?
    i tried and couldnt make it work…

8. can i update cubase to 11, 12, 13? i know it cost every big update (like from 9.5 to 10) but will there be a time ill need to buy the all software again?

9. when you play orcestal on the midi keyboard theres a bit of a delay, not like in piano/drums/bass. any settings that can fix or help with that? in bass i know theres the function legato that helps for bass.

This is a huge topic. The results depend on how much you want to spend and how “secure” in terms of data-loss your system must be. The question you have to answer is: What do you try to achieve?

These actions do I take:

• My Workstation has multiple SSDs for different purposes. The Data is stored on a different SSD than the operating system and the music libraries are again on an other SSD. In case of a hardware crash not everything has to be restored.
  • I am using different Windows users. One for music production and one other stuff. Like that I know what I have to backup.
  • All changes of music project files changes are backuped on a NAS-Server every x-minutes.
  • There is a daily incremental backup for the Windows user data, the music libraries and the operating system.
  • I keep the Firewall active, I run anti virus programs and I upgrade Windows with all security patches.

As you can see, I didn’t only try to “keep” my data… I also try to have the least amount of time loss in case of “emergency”. Regardless of all that what I do not, never and absolutely at no time is execute a program is downloadable via File-Hosting platforms! I do never ever open a email that contains an attachment!

Hope that helps

Some answers:
(1) To adjust midi volume, you could adjust the main volume, or the velocity. This is done via the key editor. In an orchestral contest, the mod wheel is often mapped as a volume control, but it’s a bit awkward to use unless the mod wheel performance was part of the original performance. You also have the option of using automation, or converting the midi to audio, then using audio tools.

(4) Recording drums with a MIDI keyboard, one often encounters the issue of drum maps. Sometimes it’s good to remap the drums so that the layout of drums on the keyboard if favorable to making natural finger motions resemble natural drum stick motions. For example, mapping adjacent keys to the same (or similar drums) when attempting to produce a flam. It’s well worth the trouble to get a pair of drumsticks and do a little fake drumming using a phone book for a snare and tapping your foot on an imaginary bass drum. Even a few minutes of this will give you a sense of reality when it comes to building drum parts. Also, unless your timing is excellent, keyboard-entered drum tracks can come out too sloppy to be useful.

Recording violin on a MIDI keyboard is easier, especially since it’s usually a one-handed operation playing single notes. It gets more complicated when you introduce the mod wheel as a volume control. This style of playing is quite different from playing normal piano parts. There are a lot of youtube demonstrations of this by guys who do film scores. I’m impressed by how often they can nail it on the first take. I think it’s safe to say that it’s a special skill, which might affect the direction of your development as a keyboardist.

Other than that, try to play pieces that you enjoy so you won’t dread and avoid playing. How many Hannon exercises can anyone do without zoning out? You should also select pieces that develop a particular skill that you’d like to have, such as playing octaves in the left hand, or trills in the right hand. It’s good that you have a teacher. That should prevent you from falling into bad habits.

(5) As with all musical instruments, you can expect to go through a trading-up process. Very cheap instruments often mask what the performer is trying to play, while also masking mistakes. Obviously, that would slow you down. That said, you need to go and try a few out. The reaction of the keys themselves is important. How stiff are they? Are the weighted or semi-weighted? Does it feel to you like you’re hammering nails with your fingertips, or that your hands are wading through a sea of mush? You would know when you personally audition keyboards.

If you are going for just a MIDI controller, then your money will go much farther if you avoid synthesizers. Why pay most of your money for hardware sound modules if you’re going to run softsynths anyway?

(6) Recording with pedal effects is not really different than recording clean. Just get the gain staging right in any case. In some cases, that could mean some sort of preamp or di box. (Depends on how well your audio interface deals with direct injection.) It would get tricky if you wanted to add pedal effects as an outboard effect. Recording with the pedal effect is fine unless you think you’ll want to change the effect in the future. In that case, you might want to record it clean and use inserts or sends later on. Obviously, that’s a complication that can slow down your work. I don’t use guitar rig, but it looks pretty decent and has a great reputation, so I imagine it’s not that tall an order.

(7) yes, you can have other windows open when using Cubase. However, you are right to fear viruses. Also, most games will put a strain on system resources. If you have a game loaded and then decide that you want to grab an instrument and play this great idea you just had (without quitting the game) then expect Cubase to produce a lot of crackles and drop outs. This won’t happen if you quit the game first.

Now, when you add virus protection software to your system, it will always be running in the background, siphoning off resources that could have gone to Cubase. This is usually tolerable, depending on the anti-virus program and how much power your machine has to begin with.

(9) It depends on you. There are people out there still running Cubase 3, or Cubase 5. Like buying a new instrument, it depends on what limitations are bothering you. There could be a bug you can’t live with, or a new feature that you lust for. Then you’d be motivated to upgrade. I like to keep up to date with every new release, waiting a few weeks for the worst issues to emerge and be addressed before pulling the trigger. There are also special prices available from time to time. Study the history of when such sales typically occur. Watch your e-mail notifications. It can save you a lot of money.

It costs a lot less to go from Cubase 9.5 to Cubase 10 than to just buy Cubase 10. Likewise, going from 10 to 11. I’m not so sure about upgrading from Cubase 4 to Cubase 10. I believe it’s like starting over.

(10) I don’t know why you experience more latency with orchestral parts. Certainly, those instruments tend to have slower attack envelopes by their nature. Does it happen with timpani or glockenspiel?

thank you so much for the repl ys!
i really appreciate it!

1. in the midi editor, lets say i want to increase only the volume of the first 10 notes in an event by 40%? i saw a guy in youtube do it but he didnt explain how to do it…

i hope other users here can help with the other questions.