Some GUI Design Suggestions about Cubase 7

?? Doesn’t sound like my W7?? Search in W7 is 100x faster than it was in XP.

I’ve given up and use a little free program called Agent Ransack (of all things) but it beats win7 with a mile every time. First search takes about the same time as XP, subsequent searches are down to a few seconds, no matter what size of the drive you search.
The indexing crap that win7 is doing simply doesn’t work! It’s just takes forever … or until I give up and stop the search. And if I make a smaller search win7 can’t even find everything??? what’s up with that?
To me it’s broken, it’s just dead! I use Agent Ransack. :sunglasses:

I TOTALLY AGREE.

I tend to agree. Once you know the limitations and advantages of the current setup, it can really be flexible.

Using Key commands are a huge bonus here for opening and closing the windows I am or closing the windows I just finished using.

Has anyone ever thought of seeing the advantages of the current window workflow instead of just wanting to change to something that they think will be better? Does anyone use the workspace function? I’m sure some of us do, but wanted to point that out because you can manage a lot with workspaces.

Dockable guis have their advantages, for certain situations. In Vegas Pro, it has been dockable for ever. I don’t really care for it though and I do a fair amount of work in vegas but I prefer the workspaces I have setup in cubase and nuendo. It is so easy to flip from one to another. I find in Vegas that all the docking take away a lot of space.

As with anything Steinberg, watch what you ask for because when they first implement it, it will most likely NOT be what anyone expects and we’ll have to wait a year or two for it to be optimized.

Unlikely, Vista is really the lowest common denominator now on Microsoft systems, due to the audio system employed.

Another GUI gripe. The tool that is showing should always be the one controlled by the hotkeys, not whichever window is active. Sorry, but if Window A is active, I hover over Window B and my tool changes to the tool for Window B, when I press the hotkey to change tools I expect it to change the one that is showing on my mouse cursor (the one for Window B), regardless of which window is active.

This one drives me absolutely crazy.

Not sure if this is reqally a gui design issue or not. I know the flaws in the work area constant resizing has been discussed many,many times. I’ve heard its more a Windows issue than Steiny. This by far is the biggest gripe I’ve ever had. Every time I change from project window to edit window, the project window resizes and I have to drag back in place. Lock windows doesn’t work and set work place (alt + 1) wil resize but this means a key stroke every single time.

I want a true locked project window. One that can’t move and really stays fully sized across dual monitors. I would then figure out editing in some other manner.

Absolutely. However, its always branded a feature in responses from Chris. Perhaps time for a change of feature?

Or reformat Chris? :laughing:

:astonished: humor attempt ^^^

Close this one now! :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing:

It’s not.

Or I guess it would be if the MDI were the only option. It is not. Every other DAW has this problem licked.

http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MDI_vs_SDI

Unlikely that SB would use MDI because of the taskbar.

Would you consider it a very intelligent feature if a thunderstorm blew through your office whenever you pulled a drawer open or simply opened a book?

Or if you lived in a magical house that changed size (messing up everything) any time you turned on the dishwasher?

Or a plate that would suddenly turn bigger and smaller whenever you touched the potatoes, the steak or the salad? Never mind eating soup from a bowl, good heavens!

I can just see the Steinberg Headquarters. “Darn, why did the server tower fall over again?” - “That’s because Chris flushed the toilet and someone used the coffee machine on the same floor. This caused the server room to inflate. Sorry, but that’s by design. And it’s also the laws of physics’ fault!”