Some Help Problems

Just FYI, because any problem with transposition I have now solved, here are some contradictory screen shots from earlier today when I searched the Dorico web manual.

No need to reply: I just thought you should be aware why people use Google to search the manual (as I did).

My soprano cornet playing friend was delighted with my efforts.

Best wishes

Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 10.24.02
Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 10.23.29
Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 10.23.09

Thank you for sharing this.

The in-built search function on steinberg.help isn’t as flexible and comprehensive in terms of parsing as an online search engine like Google, that’s true, because we would need the resources of Google to do so. There are a number of technical and permissions reasons why steinberg.help does not use a third-party search engine as part of the site.

It picks up fairly exact words and phrases on pages, that either appear directly in the body of the text or in metadata. All such keywords have to be added manually, and it’s not practical for us to add manually any possible misspelling of any feature that exists in the app.

That all said, Googling (or searching via any third-party search engine of your choosing, plenty are available of course) for answers is a completely valid way of finding out how to do things in Dorico, and is encouraged! The only thing to be aware of is that online searches don’t always bring up links to the most recent manuals, as older manuals often have a greater number of hits due to being around for longer. Keep an eye on the url - there’ll be a version number in there, e.g. /v3.5/ - if it’s /v3/ or smaller (as of this date, 15th July 2021), it’s not the most recent version. Sometimes the information hasn’t changed, but often it has so it’s just good to be aware of.

Both the second and third search terms are missing an “s”. I wouldn’t expect the manual to return search results for “lur” or “demiemiquaver” either…

Many thanks, Lillie, for taking the time and trouble to reply. Understood. My own situation is that I use Dorico about once a fortnight to write out music or make an arrangement - not enough to remember how to do everything. So I consult the manual - a lot! I have a sort of love-hate relationship with it. I really should follow the first steps programme.

Leo, people do spell words wrongly, especially when they are in a hurry to find out how to do something that appears fairly basic. Google will suggest that I meant to write transposition when I write tranposition, and it will suggest demisemiquaver for demiemiquaver, saving me from my own incompetence. This is helpful for me.

Sadly, not for the lur. However, I did find the YouTube video on The Lur that Saved Norway absolutely fascinating. I would write a piece for it, but inexplicably can’t find the Lur in the Dorico instrument list. :wink:

Please do always feel free and welcome to share feedback, both positive and critical, when it comes to using the manual - it’s all helpful and I for one would much rather know about issues people are having, even if we don’t have an immediate solution available.