Song Templates

Hi All,
I make different song templates for different instrument lineups. In the template folder, it displays the CPR file and separate folders for Audio, Edits, Images and Track Pictures. I’ve also incorporated a folder in there for Melodyne edits. Each time the song template folder is opened, it displays these folders. The problem is, sometimes the Melodyne folder is not there so I have to recreate it. It seems random as to whether or not it will show up. Does anyone have thoughts on this? All the other folders are consistent but that one.
Thanks

Will

Bump …

Pretty sure you don’t need to create it. The Audio and Track Pictures folders are created when the Project is created. I believe all the other folders are created as needed. Take a Project that’s missing the Melodyne folder and add a Melodyne extension to some Audio - that should create the ‘missing’ folder. Another example your Template folder also doesn’t have a Mixdown folder but Projects created from it will create one when you Export Audio.

Thanks for your reply Raino. Hadn’t spoke with you in a while.
I’m still not understanding why any of the folders have to be created or needed to be created by another action when they should already be in there as is the reason I created the template folder in the first place.
What I hadn’t mentioned is that I have one template folder but three different CPR file templates within that folder.
The only thing I can think of is maybe the folders get randomized depending on which of the three project templates I choose. Don’t know if that makes sense or not.
When I manually open that folder, the melodyne folder is in there. When I open the export page and want to route the file I’m exporting to it, it isn’t always there. I’m not seeing why not.

You’re saying that the content of the Explorer window and the content of the window that opens after clicking this option
grafik
ist not the same?

1 Like

That is correct sir. Actually, the routing is usually already set to the project mixdown folder but when I click on the previous option in the chain so I can choose the melodyne folder instead, it’s not always there.

Because it will only be created when Melodyne is actually in use.
A template does not include the folders that are existant on a Windows level. You only see certain folder automatically as Cubase creates certain folders as soon as you save a project file. However, you cannot select which folders are to be created, that is hardcoded by the developers. Sorry.

Yes, or if Melodyne was used in the past by that Project. So if you had opened Melodyne in one of the Templates that would create the Melodyne folder. But then if you removed Melodyne from the Template that would not delete the now unneeded folder. Then when creating a new Project from the Template that Project won’t be using Melodyne so a folder wouldn’t be created.

Basically you can just ignore those sub-folders and they will be created when you need them.

Where exactly is this Template folder located - in appdata; where you store your Projects; or somewhere else? Did you or Cubase create it?

I created the template folder in the music drive where I store all my music projects. Cubase sees it any time I want to open the template CPR file.
As far as Melodyne creating its own folder, several instances of Melodyne are open on many tracks in the template and they stay that way when I create a new project from the template. Shouldn’t that constitute Melodyne being used and creating its own folder? Even if it didn’t, shouldn’t the folder I created still be available? I simply created it to export edited audio to. Any other folders I create are available at any time for exporting to.

So do you use “Save As Template…” within Cubase to add them to your Templates library?

Step by step what do you do to create a new Project from a Template?

I created a template song within Cubase. I then saved that song in the template folder I created. I didn’t use Cubase to “save as template”, I just saved the song by naming it
‘template 1’. (repeated with template 2 and so on)
I have a shortcut that takes me to that template folder that I created and then click on the CPR file and it opens Cubase and loads. The problem doesn’t get random until I want to export an edited audio that was done in Melodyne, into that same template folder which has all the aforementioned folders in it, including the previously created Melodyne folder. At that point, sometimes it’s there and sometimes not.
What I did last night was put each template CPR file in its own template folder instead of having 3 of them in the same folder. So far, that seems to make it work correctly. I won’t know for sure until it doesn’t.

That’s what you actually should be using.

While it is good practice to maintain regular Cubase Projects for each of your Templates (mostly for redundancy and development/modification purposes), you don’t want to use those Project files as the basis for creating a new Project.

Once you have the Project configured how you want it, you should save it like you would for any Project. But then also use Save As Template… which will create an actual Cubase Template which is saved in a folder in Appdata (which is why I asked). Now when you create a New Project the dialog will let you base it on your custom Templates.

OK I think I understand now - you are creating the Melodyne folder specifically to save the Audio results from Melodyne editing - yeah Cubase wouldn’t create that folder because that’s not a folder Cubase ever needs, just one you want. But is does create the folders to internally manage Melodyne Edits - which is what I thought you were refering to. You don’t really need to save the Melodyne edits yourself. You can use Audio>Extensions>Make Extensions Permanent and Cubase will save it for you in the Pool. In general you should let Cubase manage your Project’s Audio via the Pool instead trying to create a custom set of folders in Windows. Within the Pool you can organize both Audio & Video into folders.

The golden rule of Cubase Project management is to always put each Project in its own dedicated folder. Not doing so is asking for problems.

Yes, there are better and more direct ways to do what I’m doing. The reason I went this direction is because I’m actually exporting the Melodyne edited files back into Cubase. Back when ARA was first implemented, I started to go that route but there were glitches to be ironed out so I still export the audio back into Cubase to arrange the edited tracks. I just use the template folder to give them an export destination I can refer to. If I had more time to experiment, I’d swing back to ARA and probably speed up the work flow immensely.

Does it save the files in a discreet folder in the pool so I won’t have to scroll though a bunch of song audio files?

No, although you could move it into one in the Pool. But you can see the new file’s name on the Info Line and the names are alpha sorted in the Pool so easy enough to find. I’m not at Cubase, but I think the new Audio File is named the same as the old one with a suffix added.

Oh, ok.
That raises another question. In the audio export page, one of the 1st choices is the routing of the exported audio file. Because it’s going to the audio pool anyway, does it still have to be routed elsewhere or can I defeat that routing? If I can’t, it’s going to end up in a different area anyway so that’s why I create a separate folder for it so it doesn’t land where it’s not wanted. I guess the mixdown folder isn’t too bad but sometimes I use that for other special edits. Although it would be easier to sort out there than in the pool.

1. It’s not called routing. Routing is something else. This is called “selecting a folder for export”,
  2. Why would you use the Mixdown folder for anything else? Why not create a folder called “Anything else” and put the stuff there?
  3. It is entirely up to you where you want the mixdown files to be saved. You have to chose, and you’ll have to remember the location if you want to find the file again. Cubase just creates the Mixdown folder for your convenience. You don’t have to use it.
1 Like
  1. Yes, I call it routing because I have to navigate to the proper folder for export. My technical terminology won’t be perfect but understandable. Thanks for the correction.

2. I make special mixes from editing audio and midi files and that’s what I use the Mixdown folder for. I want to keep the Melodyne export files separate from those for work flow reasons, hence the separate folder.

3. In this case, I don’t consider the Melodyne export audio files as mixdowns. When I export them, they are also being imported back into Cubase for further editing. I would just render the track but I edit the vocal tracks in sections. To export/import them makes it easier to do what I have to do.