Sort of remark FR for VST3 and Cubase-Nuendo...

I’m sorry about the doublon, but my post have gone into a kind of feature request post… and so i’m sure someone will look this post :smiley:

Here is the original :

And here what’s inside:

The VST3 is a good evolution with a lot of underused features, the per note control is a killing feature, sample-accurate automation, audio in VSTi, and the new routing capabilities.

And i want to talk about this last aspect, actually a VST3 plugin will operate on 2 channels for stereo, 6 channels for 5.1, but i think that a big limitation ( particulary in Cubase or Nuendo ), is that it’s impossible, to select or deselect individual processed channels, it’s all the channels or nothing.
I’m not quite sure, maybe it’s a per plugin routing code, or if the VST3 is like that and couldn’t be tweaked.
A nice and open way could be to for example, able to select the number of inputs and outputs of the plugin ( for example a spectrum spliter ) in real time, then on the next plugin slot, 6 inputs, the 2 first ( bass part ) goes thru, and the next 4 are treated within an effect, settings appliable in the little routing view of the plugin slot ( this thing always make me think that this routing snapshot could be really powerfull, but now it’s more like a visual helper with very limited interaction ).

Oh and yes, it does the job well, and it work like it have to, but sometimes, i’m dreaming about changing a track channels number on the fly, i cannot transform a stereo channel in a 4 channels track… You have to select the channel number at the track creation. Or mutable tracks, like a temporary 6 channels routing chain, with a little VST3 channel mixer insert before the fader, on a stereo track. And with the all new fresh 8 free slots, with this feature, a track can became a true christmas tree :slight_smile: but one unique, very powerfull, flexible, and near limitless feature :wink:

Cubase and Nuendo have an effect routing editor:

Yes i already know the routing tab ( which is quite ugly now since the 16 slot switch… we have 8 and half routing slots lol ).
It’s a nice thing, but it could be more powerfull, more usefull, on the link you given me, there is a lot of exemple with stereo effects on 5.1 tracks, like VST2… But since VST3, the routing system is a bit different, and IMO too restricitve, I just discovered that you can bypass some channels for 5.1 plugins by choosing a “preset” inside the routing tab… I don’t find a way to activate, desactivate, I/O within the routing editor directly, not by choosing a chnnel preset configuration for that precise slot.