Sound (Card) Advice

I’ve been using Cubase VST 5.0 with an M-Audio 2496 sound card in my setup for as long as I can remember. I have just upgraded to Cubase 7.5 Artist. Are there any opinions on the validity of this sound card in the modern day? In other words, has the technology advanced to a point where I might be much better served with a sound card upgrade as well? Or are people still quite happy with their 2496s? Thanks.

What specific operating system and version are you running Cubase Artist 7.5 on?

Win 7.

Just an opinion here…Unless you’re running a pro studio where you need to show everyone all your stuff is the latest & greatest, if your existing sound card still WORKS with your current computer, why? You only have to ask yourself if you really want or need to spend more money on a new interface, and have a justification for doing so.
Do you need more I/O’s? Different types of I/O? Less latency? Features you really need? Some people just like to keep upgrading everything without any real reason…that’s probably 90% of Cubaser’s.

I’m still ‘very happily’ using my old Aardvark audio interfaces…of course that means I’ll have to keep using Win XP & legacy software. I’m good though & don’t feel a need to upgrade anything…though I’m constantly ‘out-grading’ (externalizing).

I had one of those back in the day, very good card for the day, still useable. In those days some cars (such as the more expensive Ymahas) had horrible latency figures, but I guess things have improved. I upgraded to scrarlet and now use a Focusrite liquid 56.

I upgraded for pre amp and increasing inputs.

Think about how many inputs you need, what is your purpose…

You can run two cards simultaneously

Computer music mag used to run regular analysis of best…

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

My question doesn’t really center around the issue of having the latest and greatest, I just wanted to check with other users as to any potential issues with compatibility between the hardware and the software. I guess my best plan is to wait and use it together myself and see how it goes.

Thanks again guys!