Sound card problem with Cubase Elements - Tascam US-1800

I am new to this site…
A while ago, I bought the Tascam US 1800 bundled with Cubase LE5 from Musicians Friend. I have a Dell Studio 1737 computer. I activated Cubase and the Tascam US 1800 it is loaded and installed in the computer properly. In the Control Panel of the computer, the sound section of recognizes the input for the Tascam US 1800.

So after reading many tutorials on this site and watching you tube videos, and trying everything for the last 2 weeks, I thought I would create a post.

The problem is there is no audio after recording. The waveform shows up on the waveform block but nothing I do gets me audio playback. I have read everything on this part of the forum as it pertains to Tascam US 1800/Cubase LE5. The first things to do when you startup Cubase - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Also have you guys turned your monitor buttons off for Playback ~ Yes I have

What am I missing? Have I overlooked something?
Thanks Roy…

ASIO4ALL using this universal drive seem to take care of most of the problem

Hello,

First try going to your manufactures website to find the most recent supported ASIO or CoreAudio driver for your Audio Interface and Operating System (PC or Mac)

Please Note
If you are on a PC, please keep in mind we only recommend using your hardware manufactures dedicated ASIO driver as we do not support generic ASIO drivers i.e. (Generic Low Latency and Direct X Full Duplex Driver). However If your manufacture supplies only a generic ASIO driver, we recommend the ASIO4ALL driver which can downloaded here.

http://www.asio4all.com/

After Installing the driver, be sure your Audio Interface is connected to the computer via USB or Firewire.

Launch your Cubase Application and create or open a project.

To select your Audio Interfaces driver please go to Devices>Device Setup> click VST Audio System and at the top of the window select the ASIO driver to your Audio Interfaces. Please be sure the correct audio driver is selected before closing this window.

Next you must go to VST Connections to setup your Input/Output configuration to your Audio Interface. To find this go to Devices>VST Connections>Check the Output Tab first then click on your Device Ports and Select your Audio Interfaces output options. Next check the Input Tab and click on your Device Ports to Select your Audio Interfaces input options. If the Input or Output Tab options say “Unmapped” then click or double click the box that says unmapped and select the correct buss from the menu below. Next, click the checkbox that says always map and click “OK”. If you have more Inputs or Outputs on your audio interface select “Add Buss” to configure additional I/O then exit out of the window.

*Be advised-When you select an external Audio Interface as your input and output device, all sound will go in and out this selected device, meaning your audio will not play back through the computers internal speakers or those connected to it’s internal sound card. You must either connect studio speakers to your Audio Interfaces’ outputs or connect stereo headphones to the interfaces headphone jack.

Thank you very much Joel.
However, I have another question. ~ Everything at one time works fine, a while later later nothing works {like no sound}, a while later the Tascam US 1800 does not register with the computer, the next day there is something else, another day I can record and play . Why all the variables from one time to another?? How can I fix that???
Thanks Roy

What operating system are you currently running Cubase LE5 on? If Windows go to Start>Computer>right click for Properties and will tell you the OS and if you are running in 32 or 64-bit.

Hey Joel, sorry for the long delay. The computer is 64-bit.
Question ~ This is an older machine. Is there a way to invest in a part to grade so the machine to handle Cubase and its components without buying a new one.
Thanks Roy

Hello

What is the operating system i.e. Windows 7 for example? Regarding hardware, since I don’t know the make and build of the machine it would probably not be best for me to speculate on that here. All I can try to aid in is diagnosing why it’s doing that.

You may also want to check this if you are experiencing audible latency, dropouts or distortion during recording or playback, it’s important to check your buffer settings and make sure that is not the problem. Go to Devices>Device Setup>Click your Driver found under VST Audio System. Next, click Control Panel and set your buffer settings. It’s generally a good method If you are playing audio back with VST’s to set the buffer to a higher setting (512-2048) to free up memory and processing power. If you are tracking a vocal or instrument, it’s best set the buffer to a lower setting (356-128) to minimize latency. Keep in mind the lower you go will require more CPU power, so it’s relative to the power and speed of your Computer.