Sound-issues considering speakers, headphones, wired, bluetooth

Hello

I have these issues considering sound (through headphones).

1. Dorico claims all the sound output on my pc. I lose my sound on all other programs (like browser) whenever Dorico is opened.

2. But, when I make connection with my headphones Dorico refuses to send the sound through them. Bluetooth or wired connection: all the same – no sound in headphones from Dorico.

3. To make it even more interesting, albeit point 1: I can listen to another program’s sound through headphones even when Dorico is playing its sound through the loudspeakers of my laptop.

I did search on the helpforum but the answers doesn’t help me further… Maybe it’s just me not being an IT-er…

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance.
Sincerely

Welcome to the forum, @A_B. Please see the pinned frequently asked questions thread for help with using Bluetooth headphones with Dorico:

Hi @A_B , welcome to the forum.

In regards to 1.) you need to go to Edit > Device Setup and press the Control Panel button, a new little window will pop up. In there is at the top an option saying something about ‘allowing exclusive access’. Make sure that that option is not selected and then also other applications can make sound at the same time. I’m not 100% sure, you might need to restart Dorico or even reboot, please try it out.

Regarding 2.), in that very same dialog as mentioned before, in the middle is a list of output ports where also your headsets should turn up. At the front is a little tick box by that you select which output to use.

(I didn’t read that thread before because of it mentioning in the beginning of the post that it considers Mac…)

I could change those Device Control settings of Dorico 4. Only, this worked for … one time use. But now this is no option anymore: I can’t select my headphones in the Device Control. It’s just not there anymore. Allthough I am listening through my headphones right now…

Thanks in advance for more tips.
Grtz,

Then it is most likely a sample rate issue, i.e. the wanted device is set to a different sample rate than Dorico itself. I wrote you also a private message, please check.

Hi Ulf, Can you share the information that you wrote to A_B? I’m having the same issue as A_B in the sense that in the dialog that I see the “Allow exclusive access” option anywhere in the Edit > Device setup section.

Likewise, I only that the option to select the “built in audio” - presumably from my mac. in the output. I am sort of perplexed that I would need to look up the herz. output of my bluetooth headphones to be able to get them to work with Dorico. Any advice appreciated. I need to work in a place where the constant beep-boop of note input doesn’t disturb other people.

Hi @jakeysworld , usually on Mac the problem with BT headsets is a different one, namely two devices with the same name turn up. The first one is for the in the BT headset built-in microphone and the second is for the BT headphone. So you need to make sure that you only ever use the second device that turns up in the drop down list in the Device Setup dialog.

Thanks Ulf,
Let me fiddle with that a bit (though I don’t recall that being an issue) and then get back to you about potentially setting a date/time. Morning (i.e. 8am is fine)
many thanks, JW