Soundcard change..I want digital distortion (as effect) BACK

In the past I have used both a Creamware Pulsar, then an RME Fireface 400 soundcard. With my setups with both of those when I was mixing down already recorded tracks live within Cubase, I could see the input going into a channel that was record-enabled, and if I raised the fader for the recording channel, I could get this really cool, metallic digital distortion, that varied in degree and timbre depending on how how I raised the fader (nothing when fully down, varying degrees of cool as it was raised and absolutely horrid and maxxing the signal out if I went too high).
I imagine this was probably due to something being setup incorrectly, but I actually dug the sound when added to certain musical elements and frequently used it as an effect.

Recently, I changed to a Native Instruments Komplete 6 soundcard (because I needed a non-Firewire soundcard I could DJ with as well…), and I can’t seem to get Cubase to mix down already recorded tracks live, monitor live and give me access to that cool digital distortion.

I though it may have something to do with direct monitoring, so I went and ensured that was on, but it made no difference.

Any ideas how to get things back so I can access that digital distortion again?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Anyone?