Soundquality after rendering

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has the real Tubetech CL1 compressor. I wanted him to do a test with the softube plugin, to hear the difference.
In live playback there is a distinct difference, the real thing is a bit warmer…
But he send me the rendered files and I cannot tell the difference!
Could it be that shaping the sound by the plugin is done better rendering the file than in realtime playback?
Has anybody had such experiences. I mean I’m not very picky, there could be some difference in sound from a rendered and a live file… but easy to hear?

with kind regards

Frank Koppelmans

Some plug-ins have a setting where they can use a higher quality oversampling algorithm on offline rendering (dmg audio and 2c audio springs to mind).
However, I’m not sure whether Softube has that.

The other thing is that some of these emulations have a non-linear component to them that is quite randomised, meaning that it will sound different every time…but usually those components are very minor.

It is also easy to get fooled. There may be something unaccounted for in the live monitoring. It has happened to me too many times to count and I am always wary of differences when there shouldn’t be (and especially when I think there should). I’m not saying this is the case for you here but it’s worth looking into.

Dean