SpectraLayers 9

OK, Finally I have the PRO version. After an afternoon of annoying even agitation of not being able to get in contact with Steinberg via support I found this community.
It is totally unclear to me why there is now a third method to activate. It was already difficult, but this does not help at all.
Well I am glad that their programs are so good or otherwise I would have quit a long time ago.

i must admit; that it was for me never difficult…
but i can imagine, that it can be difficult.

the new license method isn’t that clear, indeed. but it went flawless.

for Wavelab Pro 11.1, it seems not. i will go there, the forum, to ask, if it is a big problem, or only some users.

there is now a third method, becuase of the new licensing system, no eLicenser necessary for Pro 9… or Cubase 12 Pro. or Wavelab Pro 11 (if it works…).

but you have still the dongle when you update, that can be confusing.

Steinberg, perhaps the page exists; needs to make the process better; or better guide…

Well finally I managed. Wavelab 11.1 I had comparable problems. I have no dongle unless the USB eLicenser is a dongle?
The problem is that once you succeed you don’t remember exactly what you did as it becomes try and error. Compared to competitors this is really a complicated way of activation… To me it looks like a way that is for IT guys not for plain users.
Well I have vented my heart, back to normal untill the next update :slight_smile:

the USB eLicenser is the dongle, both names are used, the first is the official one… or was it because, o well…

Wavelab 11.1 has still problems, it seems. was confirmed in the Wavelab forum. steinberg is working on it.

in that sense/way, SpectraLayers went smooth…

when Cubase 12 came, well it was quite problematic, if i remember correctly.

the problem is of course the new licensing system. the transition, that is always difficult.

could it be handled better? i think so, but perhaps, well…

i am not an IT guy, but have some programming skills, that i don’t use anymore…

well some developers have much stranger activation procedures…

o well, i can fully understand you need to vent it… i would too, or i do sometimes… when i run into bugs… that are… well… or sometimes strange procedures.

at some point, it will be easier…

back to; the great world of spectral editing! (and i wish Wavelab had also previews… for processes… but in a way it is handled in another, i think, or i do…)

Grace Period updates when the product is moving from eLicenser to Steinberg Licensing are a bit of a mess. Fortunately, this situation will soon be behind us once everything is on Steinberg Licensing.

The official route to trigger a Grace Period check is:

• Open Steinberg Activation Manager
  • Click the ‘person’ icon in the top right of the window
  • Choose “Grace Period Check…” from the menu and follow the prompts
1 Like

Hi I’m using SpectraLayers 9 demo and I am saving Microsoft wav files onto my desktop. When I try and use them in Logic Pro x on the big sur OS it crashes my logic after I try to import them. Does anyone know why this is happening ? Thanks

What happens when you read those wav files in a software such as VLC or another audio player ?

Hi Robin,
They play fine in Apple Music but they won’t import into Logic which is weird. Logic keeps freezing permanently. Would it be an encoding problem within the microsoft wav? I tried importing other wavs into logic ( not created in spectralayers) and they are fine. Would it be because I am only using a demo program?

If they play fine in Apple Music then it’s an issue with Apple Logic, not with SpectraLayers. Files are encoded the same regardless of the SpectraLayers license.
Have you tried saving with different bit depths ? (16bit, 24bit, 32bit)

That’s interesting. No I haven’t tried. Great thanks, I’ll give it a shot later. Thanks for your help

Robin I opened the file as a 441000hz file and then saved / exported the file as a 32bit float. Would this effect it? I’m new to all of this.

Give 16/24/32 bits export a try and see what works best with Logic Pro.

Thanks Robin. The 24 bit option imported fine. I will have a listen later on. I brought it into logic to piece it together with x fade. Thanks again