Spectrum Oscillator/Synth

Does Halion Spectrum oscillator replace SpectraLayers?

I have SpectraLayers in my vst3 folder, but it doesn’t show up anywhere in Cubase.
I never really looked at it too much, so I don’t know if they’re the same thing with a different name.

Not at all. Completely different animals. You can read about SpectraLayers on the steinberg website.

Any idea why SpectraLayers is in my vst3 folder, but doesn’t show up in the Plug-In Manager in Cubase?

Do you know what it is?

Not really.
I found it in Cubase though, under ‘Audio/Extensions’, and it’s called SpectraLayers One.
It must be some kind of entry level version.
From the comparison chart, it looks like it’s just enough to give you a little taste of what the more comprehensive versions can do:

It doesn’t look a whole lot like the one in your link.
I must admit, there’s a lot of nooks and crannies I haven’t explored with Cubase.

Spectralayers can run in the Cubase lower zone as an ARA plugin. You get some nice editing features in the spectral domain (Erase a cough on a recording, for example). Explaining everything here would explode the thread. Please read the manual.
HALion spectral oscillator gives you different tools and also uses it’s own algorithms. While Spectralayers focus is on surgical audio editing, HALions spectral oscillator gives you control over time, pitch, noisyness, tonality, formant and spectral filter in realtime.

1 Like