Spitfire Audio's BBCSO not showing up even though it's whitelisted

Hi, I cannot for the life of me get Dorico to show Spitfire Audio’s BBC Symphony Orchestra in the VST Instrument list. The weird thing is, I definitely and absolutely triple-checked that it’s in the ‘allowed list’ in the VST preferences. I have also ensured that I’m using the most current version of the plugin (which loads fine in Cubase). And even weirder is the fact that my other allowed plugins from Spitfire are showing up (Abbey Road One, Appasionata Strings etc, Eric Whitacre Choir, etc). BBC is on the same list but for whatever reason just won’t show up (I’ve restarted several times, too).

For the record I’m using Dorico 4 Pro on a MacPro 2013, running MacOS Monterey 12.4. Thanks!

Please do from Dorico’s menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Hi Ulf, attached is the .zip file as requested. Thanks
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.6 MB)

Thanks. BBCSO got blacklisted with you, both VST2 and VST3 version. We have to find out why. Please run the same script as requested in this thread and post the result here. Thanks

Hi Ulf, I downloaded and tried the diagnostics report into terminal as you explained in the other thread. Terminal responded - ‘CreateVAEDiagnosticsReport.sh: Permission denied’

Then open the Terminal window and type the letters s and u and hit the enter key. You will be prompted for your password. Type it in and hit the enter key again. Now drag and drop again my script and hit enter. Is that doing better?

That didn’t fix anything either - I was still getting ‘permission denied.’ However I did some google research and found this article and I followed the instructions about changing .sh file permissions to allow write, and it worked (actually it didn’t first but editing this post because it did after a restart)! Here’s the resultant .zip file.
VAEDiagnosticsReport.zip (35.8 KB)

Thank you so much and big apologies from my side, because I just realized that it was actually a different script that I wanted you to execute. Can you forgive me? I should have been more careful. Please see the new attachment.
scanVSTs.zip (2.0 KB)
I should also merge the scripts in order that I don’t get into this trouble again…

Edit : Running that scanner script will probably take quiet a while with you, because you have a large number of plug-ins installed.

1 Like

Hi Ulf, no worries at all, I appreciate the help. I ran that script and here is the output. Indeed I have a lot of plugins so that took awhile haha. I blame all the black friday sales over the years :wink:
scanVSTsOutput.zip (98.4 KB)

Thanks very much. Strange though, the scan now shows no problems with BBCSO, neither VST2 nor VST3.
Now, please do the following: Go to Edit > Preferences, change to the VST Plug-ins tab and scroll all the way down. Click the button “Clear Audio Engine Cache”. Quit Dorico and restart, does BBCSO then turn up?

1 Like

Hi Ulf, that seemed to do it. Actually more VST Instruments in general showed up this time! Perhaps the first time I ran this scan when installing it didn’t complete or something.

However the organization is a bit strange and somewhat random. For Spitfire Audio for example, some instruments end up in a subfolders labelled Sampler, and others under Synth. In this case BBCSO is under Synth. And there are other instruments which do not get put into these subfolders. Is there a way to organize this manually or clean it up?

Also do you think in the future there could be a search feature when inserting an instrument, just as there is in Cubase? (For example when I click to add an instrument, I can just start typing ‘BBC…’ or ‘Kon…’ for kontakt etc, rather than manually clicking through the list which is a bit slower and more tedious, especially if you have a lot of plugins like me and remember the specific instrument name, but forget the name of the developer).

Regardless, for the most part I can consider this solved because it works, and I just tested a new string quartet loading the BBCSO Pro Playback template. Works perfectly and sounds fantastic. Thank you!

Good to hear that it is fixed.
Regarding the organization, well, it’s the plug-in vendors that decide the category in which their plugs appear. Each plug-in has an info structure that must be filled out by the vendor and the hosting app just reads that out. So if a plug-in says ‘I’m a bird’ , then we sort it into that category, full stop.
Regarding searching, yes, this can be done, though this is just another feature request among many many more. So don’t expect it anywhere soon.

1 Like

Haha ok, thanks for the explanation Ulf. I look forward to seeing that update in the future, although I totally understand it’s a lower priority. Also thanks again for assisting me in this!