Split beam in 6/4 measure

Hi,
Is there any workaround to have a 6/4 measure which is 3+3 but the 8th and 16 notes inside would be separate? As it looks now, I have to manually spit beams all over the movement. The musical group is 3+3, so I can not use [1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 , because is going to change all the long notes and breaks.
Any solutions? or any changes implementing in the future?

Thanks

I don’t think 1+1+1+1+1+1/4 will break the longer notes:

1 Like

In that example yes, but whenever there is a rest f.x. it’s grouped as 2 beats

I need the note grouping 3+3 in general, just the eight/sixteen notes separate beams.

Is there not an option in Notation Options > Beam Grouping that covers this? There might not be and I’m misremembering, but it’s worth double-checking if you haven’t already.

You can also use the time signature with specified beat grouping only on the required bars and only applying to individual staves if needed, and hide the time signatures: that can still be an easier way of handling beams that splitting/grouping beams manually.

I have (possibly?) the same question. In a piece I write in 6/4, the default beaming is impractical to read. I would like the beams in, say, a string of sixteenth notes, to break at each beat, not being connected with an eighth-note beam. I have experimented in Notations options > Beam groupings, but have not achieved this. But I mean to remember that I have made this happen a long time ago! What is the older me missing?

shift-M [1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 should achieve this.

1 Like

You have many possibilities. As suggested above if you use (in meter popover) this: [1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 you have 6 groups of 4 16th without the eight.
Or use the panel on the right as shown.
(You can change the numerator style in the properties.)

If you use hidden meter and leave the numerator style as Beat group, you can easily copy the desired signpost to other places, for example if you need to have both default 6/4 or the additive version of it to have different beaming.

[edit: Janus was faster :-)]

1 Like