Split point for grand staff

I cannot find the option for setting the MIDI Split Point for what I play - sure there’s one apparently available when importing MIDI. Searched the online manual too.

Arrghh -some so simple is yet again wasting my time.

1 Like

Scroll down to import options>Interpretation, you can set the splitpoint as automatic or fixed. Hope it helps.
Note that this is for MIDI import, not for recording directly into Dorico (as I understand now you’ve already figured out).

I am not opening a MIDI file - I’m inputting notes from my MIDI keyboard. Trying to access the options via File>Import just leads to browsing for a file.

I don’t believe it exists. However, your assumption is that everyone’s MIDI keyboard input is heading to a grand staff piano. That might not be true for others. For example, if you have string quartet, set the caret across all four instruments, and play a 4-note chord, Dorico cleverly assigns one note to each instrument, irrespective of tessitura. The concept of split point is meaningless in this context.

You’ll find options relating to MIDI recording in Preferences > Play.

Dorico 4 brought changes in this area: Dorico now does various clever stuff that detects contrapuntal music during MIDI recording, and will therefore the split point can vary according to the requirements of the music.

1 Like

The only way to resolve this ist using LogicPro or similar.
→ Splitpoint in Logic
→ Record your stuff
→ Check it!
→ Export as xml or mid file
→ Import to Dorico
→ Make some adjustments
→ Ready!

According to Dorico’s YouTube video, Real time MIDI Recording in Dorico | New Features in Dorico 2.2 The ability to change the split point for midi recording used to be a feature found in Preferences but now it is mysteriously missing and can only be found in the MIDI Import Options dialogue. I hope they add this feature back in!

Welcome to the forum, @thewisebard. Dorico 4 introduced a new, automatic voice separation algorithm that by its nature needs to use a floating split point. This will normally give you the best possible results.

Where can I read more about this algorithm? Suppose I want to enter four-note chords on a grand staff, using a MIDI keyboard (but not in real time), and have each chord split so that it has two notes in the upper staff and two in the lower. Is that possible?

There’s no option for always allocating two notes to one staff and two notes to the other; during step-time input (if I remember correctly) Dorico will always use a fixed split point.

Is there a way to temporary change the split point AFTER a MIDI import?
For example, in a section there might be some medium-low chords played by the right hand (so a split point around G3 is needed) and later, we may want to have back a “standard C4” split point.
There is a very efficient plug-in Sibelius “Change Split Point” that allows to apply a split point on selected bars.
Is there some functionality like that in Dorico 5?
Thanks by advance!

No, there’s nothing like that, I’m afraid. It would be a neat addition to the feature set, but it’s not something that Dorico can do right now.