Split 'Stereo' files

I have some concert recordings where a ‘Stereo’ program was recorded to two mono wave files.
I want to be able to minimize some of the ‘extraneous’ noises (ie coughs) in SL7.
If I bring the two files in as layers, is there a way to SELECT both layers to apply modifications to both at the same time?
Otherwise, I get a weird phasing type of sound if I edit one layer and then try to do the same type of selection on the other because you cannot make exactly the same selection twice.

I want to keep the two channels separate because I want to then mix in a Cubase project.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
–Doug

No, you can only select one layer at once.

However, I would suggest the following to achieve what you need:
-import the 2 mono files as 2 layers (as you do now), call them “left” and “right”
-click Project > Reformat and convert your project to a stereo project
-create a third layer, call it “stereo”
-then select the “left” layer, and in the Channels panel, select the Left channel only.
-click Select > Select All, then Edit > Copy, select the “stereo” layer and then Edit > Paste
-then select the “right” layer, and in the Channels panel, select the Right channel only.
-click Select > Select All, then Edit > Copy, select the “stereo” layer and then Edit > Paste
-in the Channels panel, select both channels now so you can work on both at the same time
-delete the “left” and “right” layers and do your processing on the “stereo” layer

then at the end:
-click Project > Duplicate
-select the first project, and click Project > Reformat and make it a mono project, in the mixing dialog set Left 100%, Right 0%
-select the second project, and click Project > Reformat and make it a mono project, in the mixing dialog set Right 100%, Left 0%
-you can now export each project accordingly as a left and right mono wav file.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the detailed and very quick response – I really appreciate it.
I will give it a shot.

Regards,
–Doug

You could take the two mono files and interleave them to a 2-channel stereo file (preferably PCM) in Sound Forge or other DAW editing app, then work on it with SPL-7 .

Thanks, rraud.

Yep, I ended up doing that in Audacity.