Split voices from one staff into multiple staffs

Hey! I moved from Finale to Dorico and still struggling a bit! I imported a work for orchestra where I used to do condensing manually (e.g. writing multiple instruments in one staff and label it with divisi). Now I need to leverage the automatic divisi built-in Dorico without literally going over the fully orchestrated long work and manually cut/paste notes around, creating new staffs, etc… Is there a way to have that done automagically?

Thanks and happy holidays/new year to all!

This may work:

Exploding works… somewhat. If the number of voices is not consistent, you’ll get odd results.

Best bet is to do it in sections.

1 Like

As the above replies imply, you need to do this. You’ll have to generate separate parts for everyone, and separate players is the only way. The divisi feature is for section players such as strings, who all read off the same part. If you’ve got one staff each for flutes, oboes, etc., you will have to split them out. Unfortunately there’s no automated method.

Indeed, for users who import scores in XML, it takes a lot of time to separate parts staves for instruments that have been condensed manually. The initial entry is rarely done strictly by voice, but often a mix of voices and chords (especially if it was done with Sibelius or with OMR).

Separating one staff into 2 works quite well in Sibelius (with some issues sometimes). This is the last reason why I still need it.
This is an old request on this forum. Technically it may be complex for the team to achieve.

It would really be a big step forward if this issue could be taken into account for the next major version of Dorico.

I’ve done exactly this for the whole 7th symphony from Beethoven — flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons, horns and trumpets were needing this treatment. You need to create a shortcut to select the bottom note of a chord for the notes that share the same voice, another shortcut to select the downstem voice, a third one to move to staff below (alt-M by default, typo corrected), a fourth one to duplicate to staff below, a fifth one to filter slurs, and a sixth one to filter dynamics.
Using those six shortcuts, it took me a pair of hours to sort it out perfectly. I don’t think an automated way could get me that far in the process, but there is probably some progression available — being able to select both the lowest note when there only one voice and the downstem voice when available, in one go, would be a great time saver.

I would add only one refinement to the above: Move to staff below instead of Copy. It’s so much cleaner in Dorico than other software, because you don’t have to be concerned with rest entry or ties. Moving notes from a second, down-stem voice to a new staff, you want them in Up-stem Voice 1, and that’s exactly what Move does.

A minor correction: ALT/OPT + N moves a selection up a staff (as in North). ALT/OPT + M moves the selected notes down a staff.

1 Like

I often find it easier to isolate the top part and move that up a stave, (Filter select top and single notes…). Leaving the second part on the original stave.

You actually need both move for notes and copy for dynamics, slurs, playing techniques. That’s why I put both shortcuts as necessary tools to perform this task efficiently.

1 Like