Splitting Systems into 2 Columns for Instructional Book

I’m a newbie to Dorico, but had been working with Sibelius for 15 years, and Musescore for the past 3 years. I actually bought Dorico 2 almost two years ago, but I’m finally committing to learning it and, honestly, I am experiencing a pretty steep learning curve. I’m sure once I get more attuned to it and find my groove, it will be a powerful tool for me.

I am attempting to write a drum instructional book and what I want to do is write two separate columns of one bar examples, with the bar numbers going down the vertical columns, rather than horizontally. If anyone is familiar with the legendary drum book, “Stick Control” by George Lawrence Stone, this is roughly the layout I’m hoping to use.

Honestly, the bar numbers are not a big deal, as I can manually add them if I need to, but the 2 column layout is the thrust of my question.

I’ve tried to create two music frames, one for each column, but every time I enter notes/measures in the first frame, they’re mirrored in the second frame. Again, I’m almost totally clueless about Dorico, so please excuse what might amount to a simple oversight, but I haven’t found anything on this topic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Chris

Make sure your two music frames are linked sequencally, meaning the left one should be for example “MA/LA 1”, while the second one should be “MA/LA 2”

See attached Screenshot. Although I would probably recommend you to unlike me create a master page instead of using layout frames.

You could do it using two players and creating a new layout including a master page with two music frames where you would filter the music by players

(see this great video How to Format Music for Piano Duet | Page Layout in Dorico - YouTube), You’d need also to change some layout and engraving options. (see the attached dorico file, i’m assuming that playback is not important for this file, if that were not the case you’d have to change the instruments/endpoint configuration, etc).

Regards
Rafael
Stick control example.zip (424 KB)

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a necessity for two players. You would need to assign flows to each play etc. (or write two exercises in the same flow at different players) and things would become more complicated.
Setting the Chain-Link number to “1” and “2” should work perfectly.

1 Like

Agreed, this is certainly the right way to do it.

Well, i would say that is just a different approach. In the file i’ve attached there is no need for more than one flow, wich for some edits may be seen as an advantage.

You don’t need more than 1 flow in this approach either. Actually, it’s best to not. Working on a demo file now.

Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9n3a7xyvc1i7hn/Drum%20exercise%20sample.dorico?dl=0

I added the numbers as rehearsal marks. Select them and move in Engrave mode to a uniform position.

I see, in this example there is really no need for a second player, and it is better to have just one to avoid posible confussion. You both are rigth.

IIRC this has been already requested: the posibility to make any clef invisible and not just the g clef. And when the systems have an indent the ability to move the first system to the left, so one does not need to move all other systems in a case like in this example.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Dan, you’ve nailed exactly what I’m talking about. I will take some time to mess with this and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

So far, I’m in pretty good shape, thanks to your suggestions. Starting to dig a little deeper, and strongly considering upgrading to 3.5. If I’m committing to Dorico, I might as well go all in. Thanks again!

This coming week Steinberg will be introducing some “Cyber Deals” promotions timed around Black Friday, and that will include the chance to buy the update to Dorico 3.5 at a reduced price, so it’s worth holding fire for a few days before you take the plunge.

1 Like