Spurious automation points created

I am currently using Cubase 8.0.35 on OSX 10.11.4. I doubt that the problem is limited to these versions but people could easily be having this problem and never know what is happening. Sometimes when I click to start a rectangle select not near a point or line, a new point gets created somewhere. During actual use, this would manifest itself as a point suddenly jumping over to the cursor when the drag is started for the select. I thought I was accidentally clicking on a point and dragging it. Eventually, I clicked without dragging and saw a new, selected point appear well below the cursor in the middle of a line. I have now reproduced this behavior many times. I also have found points that I apparently could not click select in that the point was not highlighted. In turns out there were stacks of points with exactly the same location and value. A point down in the stack was getting selected. I kept moving the covered points out from under the top one. I found that if I undid the moves, the “extra” points just vanished and I had one normal point. I have now verified that the spurious point is sometimes created directly under an existing point. Apparently, in all my clicking around trying to make a new point appear, I was creating points under existing points. One stack had nine points. I have now clicked well away from a point and seen the new point appear under the existing one. I saw the attribute fields appear in the upper left even though no visible point was highlighted. I changed the value in a field and saw a selected point emerge from underneath another point. I could not find where anybody else was reporting anything like this but I imaging they are. When this bug happens, I just undo to restore but that deletes the new point and there is no entry in this history list for creating one so a person could think they had accidentally clicked and moved a point, undo the point and never know what happened. There seems to be a lot of variability in how this happens and I have not been able to figure that out but my automation lanes are usually stretched pretty far vertically and it seems to happen more when the horizontal zoom is low.

After I posted here I posted on general.

It is the 6th and currently last post there. There is a link to a small example cpr file and some pointers on how to get the bug to happen. It is pretty easy.