Squasher & CLA 2A make NOISE

Hello there, after add the Squasher on my inserts, the plugin generated noise. Not only at the playback but on pause too. Generating a lot of noise! How we can avoid this? Can we do something?

https://we.tl/t-Ncw0XnCLR4

Edit: I close CLA-2A and noise removed, I don’t understad. If I have one of them open the noise be removed but if I have both of them open the noise come back! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit 2:
That’s button making the noise. After I tern it to off (from 60hz) the noise removed.
But I don’t understand. Why this button make noise only if those plugins are open both?
If I have one of them I will not receive noise. What this button do? I just use it because I see it on tutorial like that way. I am not sure what this button do to be honest.

Anyway I will note delete this message, maybe someone has the same problem.

1 Like

Great you’ve found the solution but you say you’re not clear as to why this happens. Actually, this is normal behaviour, as you say the noise is generated by the Waves Plugin - It’s a model of the mains hum these analog units would produce as hardware. The noise is there during pause because it’s self-noise of the plugin, not related to the signal being processed. On it’s own, this analog noise model is fairly low level and unobtrusive but when you add another dynamics processor such as Squasher this hum becomes much more noticable, because by compressing the signal (again) you are in effect boosting these low level sounds.

Used once or twice in a mix the modelled analog hum can be useful under certain circumstances, but if you are using a lot of these analog-modelled plugins it can quickly build up and muddy your mix as well as show on your meters and distract you. The presets (especially on Waves Plugins such as CLA-2A and CLA-76 but also many other models of analog units ) tend to have the hum engaged by default. I have trained myself to always disable them and only engage them when they’re actually desired!

…Another one to watch out for is guitar amp sim plugins - they often have hum and hiss added to the presets, which may be ok with 1 track of guitar but when you start layering things up it gets annoying…
HTH

A ok! I understand!
Thank you very much for your help and your time!

1 Like

I think it’s the upward compression of the Squasher …

2 Likes

I agree it’s silly that several Waves plugins have these hiss noise simulations enabled by default. SSL G-Buss “Analog” option is another example. And several of the tape/vinyl and other vintage emulations. Fortunately you don’t have to “train yourself” to disable it. You can train Cubase. ie. Instantiate the plugin. Disable the noise. And save as Default preset.
Sadly, as in the SSL example, it is not separable from the analogue “warmth” effect. And on some - the JJP and Manny ones I think - you can’t disable noisy analogueness in any way (seems to me), which I think is kinda dumb. If the hiss only bothers you during quiet passages, you can put a noise-gate after the offending plugin of course, like you might do with other noisy sources.

Haha yes , perhaps I need to train myself to save + use more presets too!

As you say a noise gate can be useful. I use a Space Echo plugin quite a bit and some noise can be quite nice there. That usually gets a gate after it.

But without noise/static/hum injection, the plugins won’t be any different from the clean EQ and dynamics and saturation that already ship with Cubase.
How would they be able to charge for the plugins then? I mean, the pictures are worth something, but maybe not as much as their plugins cost …

I agree that third-party plugin interfaces that look like worn vintage gear, promise ineffable analog patina, and add noise, are silly. And Steinberg’s more engineered style is more practical for some people.

Sadly, for my taste all the Cubase built-in plugins’ user interfaces are frustrating, and above all, they just don’t sound good.

If I could pay a lower upgrade price for a Cubase Pro with no built-in plugins or VSTi’s, I’d do it without hesitation. I literally don’t use any of them