Staff Label text format

I can’t seem to get this Staff label to be centre-aligned:

No text alignment changes in the Edit Instrument Names dialogue box effect any difference in the score.
Is there another place to change this formatting?

The alignment of staff labels is determined overall by the alignment defined for the ‘Staff labels’ paragraph style in Engrave > Paragraph Styles.

Thankyou! I felt confident there would be a way to do it, but I couldn’t find it…

Similar question — why can I not get “Chimes” and “Voice” to be right-aligned, like the rest of the labels? The paragraph style is right-aligned, and each name is defined as right-aligned (as far as I can tell), but they are obviously not right.

Dorico file is attached—my apologies that my text font will probably give you errors. That’s not the problem here! :slight_smile:

I’m sure I must have some preference set incorrectly, messing up these staff names… Thanks!
Label questions.dorico.zip (631 KB)

Hi,

Engraving options / Staff Labels / Staff labels for identical adjacent solo instruments:
Select “Label each staff”.

I can’t explain why (something related with the numbering of the staffs i guess), but that should do it.

Regards

Thanks Rafaelv, weird! You’re right that fixes the Chimes & Gong — but that messes up the labeling for the three trombones when they are separate. I’m guessing (Daniel?) this is not the intended behavior? The labels for Chimes, Gong, and Voice seem to me like they shouldn’t be affected by this preference.

(For this piece, I’m just going to left justify the staff labels, but it would be nice to have this fixed in Dorico 4.)

There is indeed a bug here, already fixed in our development builds, so it will be sorted out in the next release.