Staff Names

Still confused. :zipper_mouth_face:

I understand the difference between player and instrument and know where to re-name these, but where can I change the instrument/player label appearing on the score to the left of each staff? Changing either the player or instrument name has no effect on this.

I’ve found this page of the manual:

…but selecting show full/abbreviated name on first and subsequent pages of score, does not enable one to change the label to the left of the staff. Where is this done?

[For clarity, I have a ‘Percussion 1’ part for suspended cymbal and glockenspiel. The ‘Percussion 1’ part’s staff label says ‘Syspenda Cymbal 2’, when it should say ‘Percussion 1’.]

Being able to show player names instead of instrument names in staff labels was a new feature in Dorico 4, and so isn’t included in the 3.5 manual. You can find the relevant page here.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for your time and care Lillie, much appreciated.

For clarity, the label that shows to the left of the staff is defined by Player Name in Setup>Players, and not by the name of the instrument(s) allocated to them to play. - Makes sense. Dorico automatically numbers identical player names. Thus ‘Trombone’, ‘Trombone’ ‘Trombone’ will appear as:

Trombone 1
Trombone 2
Trombone 3