Start recording at cursor position

Hi
Why does Cubase jump back to the start of the bar when pressing record if the cursor is at another point in the bar. I have “start recording at project cursor position” highlighted. I would just like to start recording at the point I have set by pressing the star key and without using punch in. Is this possible? I’ve looked on previous topics in the forum but not found a clear answer to why it does this and if it can be changed if needed. I was recording acoustic instruments with mics on a laptop with another musician who doesn’t use Cubase . While I was recording my parts it was easier just to get them to “press *” but then we had to think about the cursor jumping back to the beginning of the bar. I have Artist 11. Thanks

Hi
So I’ve discovered that I can record from the project cursor position within the bar if the count in on the metronome is turned off. However then the recording starts immediately with no count in. Is there a way to get a count in if the cursor is on a beat? So if I’m halfway through a 4/4 bar I get two clicks for example.
Thanks

Hi,

Yes, this is how does it work. If the Count In is enabled, or always jumps to the bar start.

Ok thanks Martin

Sorry to jump in so late. Can anyone point me to the section of the manual that deals with this? Why wouldn’t Cubase just give 2 bars of count in before starting to record where the cursor is placed?
Seems totally illogical to me. as well as annoying. Maybe because it’s not set to punch in? I have a lot to learn. The solution above certainly works, but I couldn’t find any documentation on it. Thanks.

Hi,

Because Cubase is (luckily) programmed by musicians. None of the musicians would count-in in style 2-and-half - 3 - 4 or even in worse case: 2.3.2.117 - 3 - 4, or even worse: 2.3.2.117 - 3.3.2.117 - 4.3.2.117.

From the musician point of view, it makes totally sense to start at the Bar start.

1 Like

Here?

1 Like

Yes of course. Thanks ,all.
Embarrassing operator error. Working on a score and I didn’t realize that the time had been set to frames instead of beats and measures. Too many hours at the screen. Sorry.

3 Likes