"Starts voice" doesn't work

Hello,

I can’t get rid of the quarter rest at the beginning of the bar, in the second voice:
Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 2.46.41 pm.png
Normally I would click on the first note in the lower voice and turn on “Starts voice”, but Dorico won’t let me do that, for some reason. What might be wrong? I checked to make sure the quarter rest is an implicit rest.

Thanks

Hello,

I got around the problem by transferring the previous couple bars into the lower voice, then turning on “Starts voice” on the upper voice note where the eighth notes start. Though I’m still stumped as to what I did wrong in the first instance. I checked to make sure “ends voice” was ticked on the last entry of the lower voice.

Thanks

Rather than waste time trying to get to the bottom of it (and it’s probably to do with the last previous note in that voice not being set to End Voice), just select the rest and go Edit > Remove Rests.

2 Likes

Hi Pianoleo,

Thanks, that works great! It’s also a very clean solution to another issue I’ve been having with interlocking voices:
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 3.03.39 pm.png
I’ve been selecting all the rests and making their color transparent. The remove rests options fits much better.

Probably the question is whether they are implicit or explicit rests.

Sorry to necro this post,
But I am having SO much trouble with “starts voice”.

Every time I try to start a new voice halfway through a measure, it adds rests before, and then it won’t let me change the new material to “starts voice”.
I have made sure any voice 2 material preceding the new material has “ends voice immediately”.

But Dorico just adds rests.
And the problem is, if I try to “remove rests”, it starts adding whole measure rests to the preceding measures, and as I “remove” those, it keeps adding them as I go backward. This is INCREDIBLY annoying especially when I have to go back 50 measures to the last time there was an actual 2nd voice.

I ran into the same thing and at one point concluded that Dorico doesn’t like to start a voice in the middle of a measure (in some or all cases?) and adds rests before to complete the measure no matter what you do. But that may not be true at all; it’s just all I could make out of it.

So I get rid of the rest with the Remove Rest command when start and stop voice doesn’t work. I need it so much that I have added a very convenient keyboard command for it: shift-Z

my issue with “Remove Rest” is that if I remove a rest from measure 10, it then proceeds to add one to measure 9. I remove that one, and it adds one to measure 8, and so on. It’s a constant game of reverse catch-up.

This is exceedingly bizarre, and we need to see a video/gif and a file that consistently exhibits the behavior.

I use multiple voices that start and stop mid measure all the time, and I have no trouble whatsoever, and it works as expected. My guess is there’s some layout/notation option that is not configured optimally for you, and there may be a glitch (where did the file originate?) and possibly user error or miscomprehension of how the feature is supposed to function.

OK, I was getting so frustrated and flustered that I had to stop.

I came back to the same passage, and took a deep breath.

Went backward (with voice colours turned on), and found the last passage with the 2nd voice.
I clicked on the last note of that passage, in the 2nd voice, and applied “ends voice immediately.”

Problem solved.

However, this remains a very frustrating issue when dealing with a very large orchestral score.
I had to go back 20 very full pages of material to find the spot that used a 2nd voice, to activate “end voice” on it.

I sort of wish that Dorico would automatically apply “end voice” to the last note of a passage whenever any voice other than “voice one upstem” is used.
Likewise, the second you start any passage with a new voice, it would be nice if the default were to “start voice” from that point.

As it is, I spend a LOT of time chasing down ends of passages with two voices. And it IS very frustrating in a large orchestral score.

1 Like

This is exactly what this Notation Option does:

If this is incorrectly set, then set it correctly and Save As Default.
If this is set correctly (to Hide), then something weird is going on that is project specific, and you’ll need to share an example so that the development team can figure out what’s going wrong.

I have the Notation Option set to Omit bar rests, use the begin and end voice controls often and successfully since I am dealing with keyboard music, and have never had the strange problem mentioned by Michel_Edward. Yet, I am still encountering instances where Dorico inserts initial rests in a measure in the circumstances mentioned previously. The next time this happens I will add the example to this thread.

It seems like that is the correct behavior…You want rests in the first bar of a new voice, as you can see in the graphic, but the Notation Option then stops rests in the following bars where there are no extra voices…unless I’m misunderstanding what you are saying.

Don’t try to work backwards. Dorico controls things like voice entry and meters in the forward direction. The Starts voice button in Properties is not as directly useful as Ends voice. If you have unwanted bar rests in the primary voice, it should work to set Ends voice for the previous last note.

But Leo’s advice works if you always write a single voice in the primary voice (normally Up-stem Voice 1). I never have this problem with bar rests.

1 Like