Steely Dan Anyone?

That’s great Jonathan thanks, I’ll check it out. :slight_smile:

Brilliant!

You said that it wasn’t your intention to reproduce the sound of the original, but still: why did you opt for so un-70’s drum sound? You are using Superior Drummer, how about something from the C&V expansion, for example Slingerland?

If you guys ever decide to set up an SD collab, may I suggest you pick “My Old School”. That would keep you talented lot busy for a while.

Thanks arimus,

As mentioned earlier, I didn’t think too carefully about exactly which drum sound (or any other sound) to use tbh. It was not that important. I actually used a set that was already there from a previous project with no tweaking.

I may switch it round I guess at some point but this project is already gathering cobwebs, I like to move on fast. :slight_smile:

Well, this of course is very good and displays extreme competence in all departments. However, overall I’m a bit ambivalent due to the fact that it’s almost a letter-by-letter remake of the original – even the opening guitar solo has the same gauzy treatment that the original has. Also, the harmony vocals hit all the right notes, but come off as quite unnatural, as if a plug-in was used to create them. Still, the energy is great, and the playing is superb… but it was on the original, too, and it’s better :neutral_face:

Well, I like to look on the positive side and the fact that anyone think I used a “plugin” to do my BVs is an extreme compliment - Thank you.

Of course there were plugins involved, compressors and a little reverb etc. but when you say “plugin” I presume you mean some kind of cheat.

If you had read any of the thread above (I can’t blame you for not doing really, except it is always kind of nice to do that before posting a reply) you will see that BV blocks are my speciality, In this case I even documented how they were done. It takes me an hour or so. I am good it it. Sorry no cheat required.

So thanks again fro the huge compliment. :slight_smile:

PS. Nothing personal - This is always my reaction when people accuse me of miming guitar at a live gig (usually because I have wireless system). It is a huge compliment if it sounds that good that they think you are cheating and of course they can’t be blamed for not understanding enough to know better.

twilightsong - Do you have any of your stuff available to check out that will show me how it could be done better and help me improve? I would love to hear it. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

I really like your Steely Dan cover and also your own work. Listening to your songs made me realise that I have still a long way to go with my own stuff. I like the full/balanced sound that you have and wish that I would be able to do something similar sometime in the future.

Very kind of you hko. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. :slight_smile:

I am all over this if so. That song…nay! The Entire Album…is one of my favorites of all quiz gameshow Alex Trebek Vanna White I need a new car time!

Right on dude. :smiley:

Very impressive rendition of this song. Great guitar playing

Thank you kind sir. If only I had written the song eh. :slight_smile: