Steinberg Download Assistance advice, please

I don’t understand various aspects of how Download Assistant works. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

• Today, I updated Cubase Pro 11.0.10 to 11.0.20. I had to open Cubase, check the version, then close it, open Download Assistant, and do the update, because I couldn’t find in Download Assistant what Cubase version I was on. Can this be found anywhere?
  • There are several categories, including Cubase Pro 11 and Cubase Pro 11 Update. What’s the difference? The former has more items, so I thought the latter might actually just be the stuff that has updates. But that’s not the case. For example, in both categories I find Halion Sonic SE 3.4.20. So why are there two categories when they contain mostly the same stuff?
  • For Halion Sonic SE 3.4.20, the button says “Install”. But the instrument is installed already, version 3.4.20. The same is true for all other instruments and packages listed in Download Assistant. Why does Download Assistant suggest to “Install” already installed items? (And no, I haven’t moved anything, and have been using default/suggested installation locations for everything.)

Hi,

Steinberg Download Assistant doesn’t know, what you have installed already. It doesn’t check the system. It just offers you all options, which are available on the server.

No. The Steinberg Download Assistant doesn’t know, what is really installed at your system.

Update is meant to be used for Cubase 10.5 users. The content, which is the same in Cubase 10.5 and Cubase 11 is not in the list, so you don’t have to download it again.

The Steinberg Download Assistant doesn’t know, what is really installed at your system.

Thanks Martin!
Even if Download Assistant doesn’t know what’s installed on my computer it should know what’s installed using Download Assistant. :slight_smile: But apparently it’s even too stupid for that. Bad design.
I have download assistants here by Ableton, Native Instruments, Izotope, and Waves. None of them is as dense as Steinberg’s. A shame.

Hi,

I totally agree with you. It should know it. Unfortunately it doesn’t. Even if you use it to install any of the application/component/library, it shows you “Installed”. Then you quit it, start again and the Download Assistant offers you to Download the application/component/library again, because it simply doesn’t know.

I agree entirely! It’s hardly an “assistant” when all it does is replace the links on the website!
Come on Steinberg - look at your competition!
I too have the iZotope and Waves downloaders; the former is slightly better in that it has a page that only lists updates.

1 Like